Tuesday 28 June 2016

EURO 2016 LATEST Visit Euro 2016 Hub

Fri 10th June

Sat 11th June

Sun 12th June

Mon 13th June

Tue 14th June

Wed 15th June

Thu 16th June

Fri 17th June

Sat 18th June

Sun 19th June

Mon 20th June

Sat 25th June

Sun 26th June

Mon 27th June

Thu 30th June

Poland POL

Portugal POR


Fri 01st July

Wales WAL

Belgium BEL


Sat 02nd July

Germany GER

Italy ITA


Sun 03rd July

France FRA

Iceland ISL


Slick Premier strut stuff in spectacular Galway rout

Jackie Cahill

Published 06/07/2014 | 02:30

Noel McGrath, Tipperary, in action against Cathal Mannion, Galway
Noel McGrath, Tipperary, in action against Cathal Mannion, Galway
Seamus Callanan, Tipperary, celebrates after scoring his side's third goal
James Barry, Tipperary, in action against Jonathan Glynn, Galway

THIS was quite something in Thurles. Tipperary were on their knees and on their way out of the championship, before something quite remarkable happened.

Tipperary 3-25 Galway 4-13

Two Johnny Glynn second half goals had Galway 4-12 to 1-15 clear and in the driving seat with less than 20 minutes remaining.

What happened next was unforeseen and quite spectacular. Back came Tipperary to win the remainder of the game by 2-10 to 0-1.

Seamus Callanan added two goals to the one he pilfered in the first half for a hat-trick and Tipperary, murdered by their local critics after losing last month’s Munster semi-final to Limerick, are back in business.

The sides were level at half-time but Tipperary’s goal was breached on two occasions.

Iarla Tannian was the instigator for both as the Ardrahan defender’s long ball was fetched brilliantly by Glynn in the fourth minute, allowing Jason Flynn to profit from close range.

Four minutes before half-time, another Tannian delivery caused panic in the Tipp goalmouth and David Burke’s hurl rose highest to flick the ball past Darren Gleeson.

But a brace of points from Tipperay goalscorer Callanan ensured parity at half-time, 1-12 to 2-9, in front of 18,467 spectators. Tipperary had been forced into a pre-match change with centre back Conor O’Mahony ruled out with a back problem.

Paddy Stapleton came into the starting line-up, at right corner back, with James Barry slotting in at centre back.

Stapleton’s introduction saw Cathal Barrett moved from the right corner to the left wing, as captain Brendan Maher switched flanks on the 40.

What followed was 70-plus minutes of sensational hurling, ending with Tipperary still standing and Galway digesting another early exit.

For the respective managers Anthony Cunningham and Eamon O’Shea, contrasting emotions. Cunningham possibly on the verge of an exit after three years in charge but O’Shea, finally, with a first championship win to savour.

Scorers — Tipperary: S Callanan 3-8 (0-7f), J O’Dwyer 0-6, N McGrath 0-5, L Corbett 0-2, J Woodlock, Patrick Maher, K Bergin & S McGrath 0-1 each.

Galway: J Glynn 2-0, J Canning 0-5 (1 sl), C Cooney 0-4f, C Mannion 0-2, P Brehony & D Glennon 0-1 each.

Tipperary: D Gleeson; P Stapleton, Padraic Maher, M Cahill; B Maher, J Barry, C Barrett; R Maher, J Woodlock; G Ryan, Patrick Maher, N McGrath; J O’Dwyer, S Callanan, L Corbett. Subs: K Bergin for R Maher (h.t.), S McGrath for G Ryan (69), J O’Brien for Corbett (70+2).

Galway: C Callanan; F Moore, R Burke, D Collins; I Tannian, Daithi Burke, J Coen; A Smith, P Brehony; David Burke, J Canning, C Mannion; J Flynn, C Cooney, J Glynn. 

Subs: J Cooney for Brehony (h.t.), D Glennon for David Burke (h.t), A Harte for Smith (46), N Burke for Tannian (58), D Hayes for Mannion (68).

Referee: C Lyons (Cork)

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport