Sport Hurling

Thursday 30 June 2016

EURO 2016 LATEST Visit Euro 2016 Hub

Fri 10th June

Sat 11th June

Sun 12th June

Mon 13th June

Tue 14th June

Wed 15th June

Thu 16th June

Fri 17th June

Sat 18th June

Sun 19th June

Mon 20th June

Sat 25th June

Sun 26th June

Mon 27th June

Thu 30th June

Poland POL

Portugal POR


Fri 01st July

Wales WAL

Belgium BEL


Sat 02nd July

Germany GER

Italy ITA


Sun 03rd July

France FRA

Iceland ISL


Senior ace Jack Guiney has the final word for Wexford

Wexford 1-21 Galway 1-19


Published 24/08/2014 | 02:30

Conor Devitt, Wexford U21, in action against Paul Killeen, Galway U21
Conor Devitt, Wexford U21, in action against Paul Killeen, Galway U21
Dean Higgins, Galway U21, in action against Padraig Foley, Wexford U21
23 August 2014; Jack Guiney, Wexford, in action against Adrian Tuohy, Galway. Bord Gáis Energy GAA Hurling Under 21 All-Ireland Championship, Semi-Final, Galway v Wexford, Semple Stadium, Thurles, Co. Tipperary. Picture credit: Stephen McCarthy / SPORTSFILE
Andrew Kenny, Wexford U21, celebrates his side's victory

A PROMISING year for Wexford hurling continued in Semple Stadium last night as JJ Doyle's exciting team booked their place in a first Bord Gáis Energy All-Ireland under 21 final since 2001.

  • Go To

The Slaneysiders banished the bitter memories of last year's semi-final defeat to Antrim by slaying the Westerners by two points at Semple Stadium.

Senior ace Jack Guiney was in top scoring form as he hit 1-8 for the Model County, including 1-1 from play.

And it was Guiney's last-minute point that helped to scratch Wexford 13-year itch in this grade.

Now Wexford have champions Clare in their sights and if they can finish the job, for the first time since 1965, they would deny the Banner men a third successive title.

In front of 6,853 spectators, Wexford came from four points down after Galway, who had 1-6 from play from Pádraig Brehony, had hit seven without reply in a purple patch before and after half-time.

Between them, the teams racked up 29 scores in the opening half, averaging out at almost a score a minute. You couldn't take your eyes off it.

Both sides enjoyed spells of dominance in a half that was level seven times, with Galway registering the last four scores before the break to establish a narrow lead of 1-14 to 1-13.

Wexford had looked slightly the better side in the opening quarter, with lively Conor McDonald forcing a brilliant save from Shane Mannion in the eighth minute, at a time when the Yellow Bellies led by 0-4 to 0-3. They were 0-7 to 0-4 clear but Galway roared back and the Westerners had the whip hand when Brehony took a pass from Cathal Mannion for a 20th-minute goal.

Wexford responded in kind six minutes later, when Jack Guiney pounced for a well-taken goal after collecting from Rhys Clarke.

Scorers - Wexford: J Guiney 1-8 (7f), C McDonald, K Foley & G Moore 0-3 each, P Foley 0-2, A Nolan & C Devitt 0-1 each. Galway: P Brehony 1-6, S Maloney 0-6 (3f), C Mannion 0-3, E Burke, J Glynn, B Molloy & A Tuohy 0-1 each.

Galway: S Mannion; D O'Donoghue, J Hanbury, P Killeen; B Keane, D Higgins, A Tuohy; C Diviney, E Burke; P Brehony, S Maloney, C Mannion; D Dolan, J Glynn, J Flynn. Subs: B Molloy for Dolan (23), E Brannigan for Diviney (47), J Carr for Flynn (56).

Wexford: O O'Leary; G Foley, L Ryan, E Conroy; A Kenny, S O'Gorman, J O'Connor; A Nolan, C Devitt; J Guiney, G Moore, P Foley; R Clarke, C McDonald, C Foley. Subs: J White for G Foley (36), P Sutton for Clarke (44), S Cash for Devitt (51), C O'Leary for P Foley (54).

Referee: D Kirwan (Cork)

Sunday Indo Sport

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport