Thursday 29 September 2016

Jacob fires parting shot as he calls time on Wexford

Published 01/10/2015 | 02:30

Jacob: Announced retirement
Jacob: Announced retirement

Wexford hurler Rory Jacob has announced his inter-county retirement after 14 years' involvement.

  • Go To

The Oulart-The Ballagh man issued a statement through the Gaelic Players Association yesterday in which he hit out at a local media report last month that had flagged his departure from the squad, in addition to three other players.

Jacob said the article, which speculated that he would be cut from the squad along with Ciaran Kenny, Eanna Martin and Richie Kehoe, caused him, his family and the other players hurt.

He said such a situation "lacked class", had happened before to other Wexford players and shouldn't be acceptable to any supporter.

"Recent reports from a local media source have not surprised me but they have disappointed me and caused much hurt to my family, my fellow players involved and I," he suggested.

"This type of situation portrays Wexford GAA in a bad light and lacks the class that should be present in all GAA circles.

"This is a situation that has happened to other players in the past and should not be acceptable to any proper Wexford hurling supporter."

Jacob, who won a Leinster senior championship medal in 2004 but had become a peripheral figure in 2015, said he didn't arrive at the decision easily.

"(It) is not an easy one to make but time away from home and family, the strain of training and matches on my body, the ever-increasing amount of hours needed to prepare properly and the fact that my game-time has decreased have all played a major role in my decision."

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport