Friday 21 October 2016

Danny Sutcliffe quits Dubs panel as axed Simon Lambert hits out at Cunningham 'disrespect'

Michael Verney and Jackie Cahill

Published 08/12/2015 | 02:30

Danny Sutcliffe's departure from the Dublin senior hurling squad was confirmed last night
Danny Sutcliffe's departure from the Dublin senior hurling squad was confirmed last night

Danny Sutcliffe's departure from the Dublin senior hurling squad was confirmed last night, while axed star Simon Lambert accused manager Ger Cunningham of "disrespect".

  • Go To

As reported in yesterday's Irish Independent, 2013 All-Star Sutcliffe will not be available for selection in a major setback to Dublin's 2016 title aspirations.

Despite making the trip to Boston for the Fenway Classic last month, Sutcliffe (23) was not in attendance at a players' meeting last night, having told Cunningham of his wish to leave the squad last weekend.

Lambert was informed he was surplus to requirements last week, along with goalkeeper Alan Nolan, and he voiced his frustration over Cunningham's decision.

"I'm disappointed to be left out, considering that I've been involved for the last eight years," the versatile Lambert said last night. "I came back from a career-threatening injury in 2013, missed all of 2014 and worked myself back into contention, starting both of the Galway games this year.

"The reasons given to me were, in my opinion, disrespectful from where I've come from. But look, I'm 27 and young enough still to potentially offer a lot to the team in the near future."

Nolan (30) made the goalkeeper's spot his own in 2014 after years in the shadow of Gary Maguire and was nominated for an All-Star following a string of excellent performances.

The St Brigid's man fell out of favour this year after conceding five goals against Galway in the Leinster quarter-final replay, and his inter-county career looks likely to end on a sour note, having been suspended for his part in the Boston brawl with Galway.

Elsewhere, Dublin chief executive John Costello has taken issue with the 'Scrooge-like' approach adopted by Croke Park with the amount of additional grant money being given to Dublin and Mayo after this year's All-Ireland semi-final replay.

Noting in his annual report that they were only given an additional ¤15,000 for contesting the replay, Costello pointed out that participants in the trio of All-Ireland hurling finals got ¤50,000. He added that half that amount was then taken off his board when the county's hurlers were fined for their involvement in the Fenway Classic brawl.

He said Dublin don't feel "a sense of entitlement" but they are aware that their commercial value to central coffers "exceeds any other county by a stretch".

"It would appear Charles Dickens' Ebenezer Scrooge has taken up residence off Jones' Road this festive season!" he suggested.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport