Burke blow for Galway hurlers
Published 21/04/2015 | 02:30
Galway dual star Daithi Burke looks set for a spell on the sidelines after breaking his hand - just a few weeks after committing to the county hurlers for the summer.
Burke suffered the injury playing for the Tribesmen in Saturday's victory over Limerick in a challenge at Athenry and is now a doubt for Galway's Leinster championship tie with Dublin on May 31.
Galway manager Anthony Cunningham said they were waiting to assess the extent of the injury or how long he will be out of action.
Burke, winner of a club football All-Ireland title with Corofin last month, was in demand for both the Galway hurlers and footballers.
He played for the footballers last summer after the hurlers bowed out and again committed to Cunningham's side for this summer. But he has now just six weeks left to prove his fitness for the Croke Park clash.
"We won't know the length of time he'll be out just yet. We'll probably know more in the next two weeks. It depends on how fast the healing process goes," said Cunningham.
And in a further blow to Cunningham's squad, there are doubts about the fitness of Niall Burke, who also picked up a knock in that 2-29 to 1-29 victory over Limerick. The latter was forced out of the game with what appeared to be a shoulder injury and will be assessed as the week progresses.