Sport Gaelic Football

Sunday 21 September 2014

U-21s 'wouldn't have filled in'

Published 21/02/2008 | 00:00

  • Share

CORK U-21 footballer Sean Cahalane insisted yesterday that they would not have played in place of the striking squads had they been asked to by the county board.

  • Share
  • Go To

The Rebels long-running dispute was finally resolved earlier this week but there had been suggestions that the county would field an U-21 side to fulfil fixtures -- something Cahalane refutes.

"A lot of us have friends on the senior panel and they wouldn't have liked us to get dragged into it. If they had to have asked us we would have declined it anyway I think. Thank God, we had nothing to do with it (the dispute) at all. We kept our head down and were training away. We had nothing to do with papers or reporters and we were delighted with that and we got on with it. I'm glad now that it's all over and finished with."

Cahalane was speaking at the launch of this year's Cadbury U-21 football championship where reigning All-Ireland champions Cork are looking for their fifth consecutive Munster crown.

Kerry will be hoping to end the Rebels' reign this year and star defender Killian Young will be hoping to play his part.

When asked about the senior squad, Young said that the return of Darragh O Se to training was a great lift to everyone.

"Thank God Darragh made the right decision in staying on. It's great to see him coming back. He's a great leader, he's a winner," added Young. l JOE CANNING will find out on Sunday morning whether he will be fit for Portumna's All-Ireland SHC semi-final with Loughmore-Castleiney.

"It's a bit doubtful now," said Canning who damaged his hamstring last Thursday." "I've only jogged on it so far but it's not looking great as it's still a bit sore. We'll see before the match. It's touch and go."

Read More

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport