Sligo to hold second vote on choice of provincial delegates
Published 22/01/2010 | 05:00
SLIGO are to reconvene their annual County Convention on February 1 after seeking advice from Croke Park.
The second, mini-convention, has been sanctioned after a directive from headquarters said that a second vote should be taken to decide Sligo's two Connacht Council delegates, after the procedure used at the original convention was deemed unsafe by officials at Croke Park.
It's understood the wrong voting system was used in the original vote, which elected former county board chairman Joe Queenan and former minor board chairman Timmy McGrath to the positions.
Tim Hynes and Brian Henry also ran for the posts at the time, but both men have since withdrawn from the running, meaning that Queenan and McGrath will be ratified next month.
Elsewhere, Former Mayo star Liam McHale reckons his native county have the talent to make a strong bid for honours this year -- provided leaders emerge on the field.
The Ballina man, who this season takes his first step into inter-county management when he serves as selector with Clare boss Micheal McDermott, says it could be a big year for Mayo if key players step up to the mark.
But the former All Star is the latest to criticise Mayo's perceived lack of leadership in major championship games. "Mayo have a fair bit of talent, we are one of the best squads in the country, but you have to be very disappointed with the performance against Meath in the All-Ireland quarter-final last year," he said.
"We lacked a bit of leadership and heart on the pitch. We were four points up and should have pushed on and won the match easily. We should have dictated that game throughout.
"Mayo need to pick it up this year. With the amount of talented players at our disposal, we should be doing far better. Trevor Mortimer will be a good captain and will play a big role."
McHale is enjoying his spell with Clare, but says they have a huge amount of work to do before the National League starts next month.