Wednesday 7 December 2016

Returned exile Lundy gunning to get back in Galway frame

Declan Rooney

Published 25/10/2016 | 02:30

Corofin attacker Michéal Lundy. Photo: Oliver McVeigh / Sportsfile
Corofin attacker Michéal Lundy. Photo: Oliver McVeigh / Sportsfile

Classy Corofin attacker Michéal Lundy insists that he's back from America for good and is keen to fight for his inter-county place with Galway.

  • Go To

Lundy was a key performer as the 2015 All-Ireland club champions captured a fourth Galway SFC in a row at the weekend, beating Salthill-Knocknacarra, and the talented forward has his sights set on further honours.

A year in the States meant the 26-year-old missed out on a first Connacht title with Galway this summer, but he is keen to force his way back into Kevin Walsh's plans in the new year.

An injury to Gary Sice meant that Lundy started his first game of the season for his club, and he wants to retain his starting berth.

"I'm back, I can't be missing out on this so I will stick around and see how it goes," said Lundy.

"Hopefully I'll get back into the Galway team. I'm lucky to get the start here and looking to nail down a regular spot for Corofin and then we will worry about the rest in the future.

"I was delighted for the boys who won the Connacht final last year with Galway. It would have been nice to have been a part of it but these things happen.

"Hopefully there's a big year ahead and maybe plenty more opportunities. Please God there is a chance to make up for missing out. Mayo will be gunning for us."

Keen

With the Mayo championship only reaching its conclusion in Castlebar this Saturday, it will be a while before Corofin return to provincial action, but Lundy and his team-mates will be keen to reclaim a Connacht title that Castlebar Mitchels took from them last year.

A second All-Ireland club title in their history was secured in March of last year when - under Stephen Rochford's guidance - they beat Slaughtneil in the final, and Lundy would love another.

"It's a big step up when you head into Connacht with the Mayo champions, the Roscommon champions, the Sligo champions - they are all tough games. It's nice to go in on a competitive game," he said.

"Hopefully we can go further, we don't think too much about last year we will just build on how we are going this year. "

Elsewhere, Cork's man of the match from the 2010 All-Ireland SFC final, Daniel Goulding, has announced his retirement from the inter-county game.

Goulding, who kicked nine points in the Rebels' defeat of Down six years ago, is still only 30 but the corner-forward says he is "not enjoying" the modern game and feels it's time to walk away.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport