Mayo official slams McHale hold-up
Published 24/11/2010 | 05:00
A DECISION on the future of the controversial floodlights and broadcasting tower at Castlebar's McHale Park could be made as early as next week, according to Mayo County Board secretary Sean Feeney.
Feeney expects An Bord Pleanala to deliver its verdict before the end of the month, but he hit out at the length of time the process has taken, pointing out that almost a year has passed since McHale Road residents lodged their appeal.
With Mayo's first league match of 2011 provisionally fixed for Saturday night, February 5, Feeney said it was "a matter of urgency" to get a decision "one way or another."
Feeney criticised the fact that the date for a verdict -- originally fixed for April 29 -- had been repeatedly altered.
"I can't see how this body could consistently change the date without consultation and without giving a reason," he said. "I know that other appeals that went in well after (this one) have been dealt with."
Meanwhile, Dublin hurling manager Anthony Daly will have to plan without Michael Carton for 2011 after he opted out of the coming season, while the long-serving Kevin Flynn has also retired.
Daly has approached football stars Conal Keaney and Ross O'Carroll with a view to them joining his squad ahead of the new campaign.
"Ross is very busy with Crokes, so we wouldn't be hearing from him again until that is finished," Daly said.
"Likewise Conal, we stressed that we would love to have him. Just watching him in the Leinster club championship, he's an outstanding hurler and he would be a massive addition to us. We would like to have it put to bed before the start of the season.
"We would be hopeful, but we were hopeful last year as well."
Former Tipperary hurler Ryan O'Dwyer has already thrown his lot in with Daly's squad for 2011 and Shane Ryan also looks set to return.
Meanwhile, Tadhg Kennelly will not be turning his back on the AFL, according to new Sydney Swans head coach John Longmire.
Longmire is adamant that Kennelly will see out the final year of his contract, despite earlier hints from the Listowel man that he was considering a second homecoming with the Kerry footballers.
Elsewhere, Galway's Michael Meehan and Tyrone's John Devine will miss some of the NFL.
Meehan will sit out the opening rounds as he bids to recover from a serious ankle injury, while Devine will miss most of the league as he is to undergo surgery on his shoulder today.