GAA bosses blast Harte attack over decisive new league rule
Published 30/03/2010 | 05:00
GAA officials are fuming over Tyrone boss Mickey Harte's remarks about the format for deciding final places and relegation tie-breakers in the National Football League at the weekend.
Harte slammed officialdom after Saturday night's victory over Kerry when he was told that previous results between teams -- and not scoring difference -- will count, unless there are three or more counties involved.
In that case, points difference will be used to separate the teams.
Tyrone are still in danger of the drop from Division 1 and Harte said: "So, they tell us when the season is over? That's unreal, that we are playing games of that nature and our season depends on something that nobody has actually told us about," said Harte.
Mayo boss John O'Mahony also expressed surprise, saying: "We'll have to check the small print to see if that was told in advance of the League. I only heard about it during the week."
But Croke Park officials aren't having any of it. A spokesman said: "We're not happy about this at all. This was a rule change voted on last year. Tyrone had a full delegation and it was highlighted to the counties last October.
"It is the responsibility of inter-county managers to be aware of the rules. If there have been any communication problems over this, the managers should look to within their own counties and not be complaining almost a year after this was brought in."
The upcoming results of Tyrone versus Dublin and Mayo against Cork will have a huge bearing on the outcome of Division 1.
If Mayo lose to Cork and Dublin beat Tyrone, then the Dubs qualify for the final because they have previously beaten Mayo.
A series of results have to occur if Tyrone are to be relegated but the last round of matches bring pressure on virtually every team in the division.