Fennell to fight his case in transfer row
Published 23/06/2010 | 05:00
Eamon Fennell has been given an opportunity to present his own case to the Dublin County Board over his inter-club transfer on Monday night next.
Fennell has been successful with his case for a re-hearing to the Disputes Resolution Authority (DRA), which has written to the Dublin County Board with its findings.
Those findings were received on Monday and will be made public on the authority's website this week, secretary Matt Shaw confirmed last night.
"We have set out our recommendations in the correspondence to all parties," he said.
Fennell wants to transfer from O'Toole's to St Vincent's, but has been blocked from doing so by the Dublin County Board for the last two years. Three years ago a similar move to Ballymun Kickhams was also halted.
Earlier this year the board's management committee recommended that Fennell's transfer should be blocked under the terms of a county by-law and when put to a vote it was tied on a 33-33 ballot. The casting vote of chairman Gerry Harrington supported the original management stance and blocked the transfer.
However, it appears that Fennell's prospects of getting the move are much stronger, with the DRA understood to be recommending that he is offered the chance to address the meeting and outline his reasons in person.
"He will be offered that opportunity. It's up to him to take it," said Harrington.
"The last time the vote was taken there were a number of delegates missing and some abstained on the night."
Harrington pointed out that the by-law which can prevent such transfers was found by the DRA to be "in order".
Fennell has continued to play for Dublin despite refusing to line out for his club, but this arrangement has been reached through agreement with O'Toole's.
He was impressive in three of his seven league games for Dublin and appeared to offer them a solution to their midfield problem, but was taken off in the first half of the championship opener against Wexford before re-emerging for extra-time.