Friday 26 December 2014

Dublin chairman Kettle fires 'Bitegate' message to McGuinness: It's over

Published 11/05/2013 | 05:00

Andy Kettle
Andy Kettle

DUBLIN chairman Andy Kettle has told Donegal manager Jim McGuinness that it's time to put a lid on the 'Bitegate' controversy.

Earlier this week, McGuinness came out with a staunch defence of his player Paddy McBrearty, insisting that people – including GAA president Liam O'Neill – seemed to have forgotten that the Donegal forward was the victim in the whole affair.

But Kettle (right), speaking at the special Dublin open night held at the Ballyboden St Enda's, said he had a message for the Donegal boss: "It's over."

The chairman explained that he had heard McGuinness' comments and responded: "There was a Dublin player cited. He went through the disciplinary procedure of the organisation. There was found to be no evidence against him, so as far as Dublin are concerned, it's over."

The controversy erupted after McBrearty claimed he had been bitten on the shoulder by a Dublin player during their league match in Ballybofey last month. There was conflict between Donegal and Dublin about the injury as to whether skin was broken or if it was bruised, but Kettle insisted: "It certainly was not broken skin."

He also felt it was unfair that Kevin O'Brien's name was mentioned in connection with the incident.

"A player is innocent until proven guilty and the Dublin player cited has been pilloried while being exonerated by the procedure," he said.

Asked was he disappointed by McGuinness keeping the matter in the public eye when it had been dealt with by the GAA, Kettle responded: "If it were Dublin, Dublin would have accepted the verdict of the disciplinary process and left it at that."

Irish Independent

Promoted articles

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport