Wednesday 7 December 2016

Dead-eye O'Reilly leads way for red-hot Royals

MEATH 1-17 LAOIS 2-8

Published 20/04/2015 | 02:30

Meath made a winning start to their campaign
Meath made a winning start to their campaign

THE concession of two goals in the final 10 minutes took some or the gloss off Meath victory's at Pairc Tailteann on Saturday.

  • Go To

With 10 minutes to go, the Royals were cantering, 10 points ahead of 14-man Laois - Aaron Dowling had picked up a second yellow card on 51 minutes.

The midlanders were given a glimmer of hope when talisman Sean Moore reacted quickest to finish to the net after Colm Murphy had a shot parried by keeper Jordan Browne.

Their mini-revival gathered further momentum three minutes later when Murphy broke through and finished clinically.

However the hosts reasserted themselves as captain Thomas O'Reilly took his tally to eight points when converting two frees to close out the match.

Meath started the game at a terrific pace, despite playing against the wind and should have been ahead by more than six points before Moore's free opened Laois' account on 18 minutes.

The hosts led 1-9 to 0-3 at the break. Four of their opening six points came from O'Reilly. Ross Ryan got the goal with a deflected shot on 27 minutes.

Further points from Ryan, Eamon O Donnchadha and Adam Carey stretched the lead on the restart.

Laois, who lacked cutting edge, relied far too heavily on corner-forward Moore for scores.

Moore converted four successive frees and then pointed from an acute angle in the 50th minute.

That two-goal salvo proved too little too late but should give the Laois men a boost heading into the losers section.

SCORERS - Meath: T O'Reilly 0-8 (6fs), Ross Ryan 1-1, E O Donnchadha 0-3, E O'Kelly-Lynch, R Jones ('45), A Carey, P McGowan, D Lynch 0-1 each. Laois: S Moore 1-7 (0-5fs), C Murphy 1-0, P Kealy 0-1.

MEATH - J Browne; D Quinn, D O'Neill, Ronan Ryan; T McGuinness, R Clarke, E O'Kelly-Lynch; R Jones, C Nash; E O Donnchadha, T O'Reilly, A Carey; P McGowan, C Halligan, Ross Ryan. Subs: D Lynch for O'Kelly-Lynch (41), B Hoey for Halligan (46), D McEntee for O Donnchadha (50), I Hughes for McGuinness (52), C Bermingham for Jones (59).

LAOIS - J Walshe; C Behan,T Collins, J Kelly; J Baldwin, S Whelan, D Doyle; P Kealy, C Dunne; S Smyth, D Aston, A Dowling; C Murphy, B Daly, S Moore. Subs: R Piggott for Doyle (h/t), B Byrne for Whelan (44), J Foster for Dunne (47), A McEvoy for Kealy (54).

REF - D Fedigan (Louth)

Elliot on the double to turn tide for Dubs (Dublin 2-11 Offaly 1-9)

Two second-half goals from Aaron Elliot proved pivotal as Dublin rallied to overcome Offaly at Parnell Park on Saturday.

The Dubs trailed by three points early in the second-half but Elliot’s first goal in the 42nd minute turned the tide.

The midfielder’s contribution was vital for a Dublin team that lacked cohesion for large parts.

However, their ability to finish in the ascendancy was a positive for manager Paddy Christie to derive from the encounter.

Offaly were the more impressive outfit initially with their defence reflecting their control through the efforts of PJ Daly, Ronan Hynes and Clint Horan.

The Faithful county enjoyed a deserved 0-5 to 0-4 interval lead, with Dylan Hyland and Ciaran Maher sharing four points.

The hosts, for whom Donal McIlgorm and substitute Ben Shovlin impressed at midfield, remained in the hunt through scores by Dillon Keating and substitute Shane Howard.

Their fortunes improved when Keating added two scores early in the second half.   

Elliot’s goal looked to have left too much for Offaly to do but an excellent goal from substitute Jordan Hayes preceded a levelling point by Joe Lowry with seven minutes remaining.

Crucially, the hosts managed to regain their lead immediately through an excellent point from substitute John Kindlon and in the 55th minute Elliot produced a calm finish from Kevin Callaghan’s pass to leave daylight between the sides once again. 

Offaly piled bodies forward in a forlorn hope to rescue their fate but late points by Keating and Callaghan confirmed Dublin’s progress.

Scorers – Dublin: A Elliot 2-0, D Keating 0-4 (1f), C Pearson (1f), S Howard, K Callaghan 0-2 each, J Kindlon 0-1. Offaly: J Hayes 1-1, C Maher, S Tierney (1f), D Hyland 0-2 each, R Heavin, J Lowry 0-1 each. 

Dublin – E Comerford; D Byrne, J O’Hanlon, G McNamara; C Kavanagh, B Howard, O Kelly; D McIlgorm, A Elliot; K Callaghan, B McGarry, T Fox; S Caffrey, C Pearson, D Keating. Subs: S Howard for McGarry (7), B Shovlin for S Howard (27), J Kindlon for Caffrey (45), C Hulton for Pearson (61).

Offaly – K Kinahan; PJ Daly, C Horan, R Hynes; A Keyes, G Smyth, D Dempsey; C Maher, C Mangan; D Hyland, K Higgins, R Heavin; S Tierney, S O’Brien, J Walsh. Subs: J Lowry for Hyland (39), J Hayes for O’Brien (44, BC), M Mooney for Higgins (49), Hyland for Maher (54).

Ref – S Murphy (Louth) 

Louth dig deep to take Kildare scalp (LOUTH 2-14 KILDARE 2-11)

Louth summoned a composed and clinical second-half display against a strong breeze to claim a big scalp in Drogheda.

Leinster League finalists Kildare were hot favourites to advance and everything seemed to be running to plan when a Kevin O’Callaghan goal helped them adjourn at half-time on level terms, 1-5 to 0-8.

With the hefty wind now in their sails, the Lilywhites appeared to make a decisive move when a second, albeit fortuitous, goal from Brian McLoughlin midway through the second period made it 2-7 to 0-10.

But, a spirited Louth hit back immediately with a Tadhg McEneaney goal and the same player converted a free-kick to deservedly put the hosts in front three minutes later.

A searing run and cool finish from centre half-back Adam O’Connor put Louth firmly in the driving seat with 10 minutes of normal-time remaining and they finished the job with aplomb.

scorers – Louth: T McEneaney 1-6 (5f), C Downey 0-4f, R Nally 0-3, A O’Connor 1-0, D Conlon 0-1. Kildare: B McLoughlin 1-1, J Hyland 0-4 (3f), K O’Callaghan 1-0, A Murphy 0-3 (1f, 1’45), M Kelly, D Courtney, C Hartley 0-1 each.

LOUTH – F Sheeky; K Carr, A Dunne, H Osborne; B Matthews, A O’Connor, N Sharkey; R Ward, M Corcoran; C Downey, D Conlon, D McConnon; R Nally, T McEneaney, C Callan. Subs: P Hanlon for Osborne (44), S Mulroy for Callan (50), J Carragher for Downey (59), C Whelan for Conlon (60), B Watters for Sharkey (60+2).

KILDARE – D Campbell; S Healy, R Slattery, G Burke; C Daffy, C Hartley, J Healy; R Feely, D Courtney; K O’Callaghan, E O’Donoguue, B McLoughlin; S Lawler, M Kelly, A Murphy. Subs: D O’Sullivan for Burke (41), J Hyland for K O’Callaghan (46), T Archibold for Lawler (49), M Murray for Kelly (58).

Ref – P Maguire (Longford).

Berry puts Wicklow to sword (Longford 1-14 Wicklow 1-8)

A COMMANDING performance from Conor Berry and the sweet left peg of corner-forward Jayson Matthews were the key ingredients in Longford’s comfortable victory over Wicklow in Blessington on Saturday afternoon.

Berry was outstanding for much of this game and although Wicklow tried several markers to try to limit his influence the Longford man had no equal in a Wicklow shirt.

Wicklow started well and led through a Cormac O’Shea point in the fifth minute.

Conor Berry then announced his arrival with an exceptional free-kick from 30 yards. Longford boss Tony Devlin then pulled Berry up to full-forward and Wicklow began to recover and ended the half trailing by 0-07 to 0-03, having kicked some horrible wides from play and placed balls.

Wicklow could only trouble their opponents on rare occasions and only after negotiating heavy traffic and hard hits along the way.

Scorers – Longford: J Matthews 0-08 (3f); C Berry 0-03 (1f); J Heaney 0-02; R Brady 0-01; R Hawkins 1-00.

Wicklow: C O’Shea 0-03; G Allen 0-02 (2f); A Dillon 0-02 (2f); P Byrne 0-01; P O’Connor 1-00.

Longford – Michael Hughes; Cian Brady, Ronan Sheehan, Cillian Lee; Michael Cahill, Conor Farrell, Kevin Sorohan; Peter Hanley, Conor Berry; Joe Heaney, Darragh Doherty, Peter Lynn; Jayson Matthews, Enda Farrell, Rory Hawkins. Subs: R Moffatt for C Brady (37min); R Brady for P Hanley (50min); C McCabe for E Farrell (54min); C Finnan for J Heaney (57min); L Barry for C Farrell (59min).

Wicklow – Dylan Keogh; Bobby Greenan, Chris O’Brien, Liam Kinsella; Darren Walsh, Eoin Murtagh, Conor Kenny; Eoin Baker, Padraig Byrne; Conor Byrne, Peter Manning, Cormac O’Shea; Gary Allen, Alan Dillon, Patrick O’Connor. Subs: R Davis for P Manning (37min); M Keenan for C Byrne (42min); D Byrne for D Keogh (45min); S Kearon for E Baker (50min).

Ref – D Hickey (Carlow) .

Rossiter points the way for Wexford (Wexford 2-14 Westmeath 2-11)

WEXFORD gained a deserved three-point victory over Westmeath in this exciting Leinster minor football championship opening-round game played at Wexford Park on Saturday afternoon last.

With corner-forward Mark Rossiter in fine scoring form, Wexford led 0-9 to 0-4 at the interval, but it was a determined Westmeath who took control in the third quarter as they bounced back for goals from Aaron Roarke and Billy Berry to lead 2-7 to 0-11.

It was Wexford who showed their quality into the wind in the final quarter of the match as a well-executed goal from Rossiter left the minimum, separating the sides 1-11

to 2-7.

Wexford responded to the challenge with Shane Doyle’s 49th-minute goal putting the home side in front 2-11 to 2-8.

And they finished strongly as an Ian Carty late point secured their quarter-final spot.

Scorers – Wexford: M Rossiter 1-9 (0-4fs, 0-1 ‘45’), S Doyle 1-0, N Doyle, I Cary 0-2 each, M Dwyer 0-1. Westmeath: B Berry, A Roarke 1-0 each, C Daly (3fs), C Mannion (2fs) 0-4 each, J Halligan 0-2, N Galvin 0-1.

Wexford – E Cummins; S Lyne, R Devereux, M O’Neill; J Stafford, S Doyle, M Lawlor; C Kirwan, I Carty; F Cooney, M Dwyer, T Bowler; M O’Connor, N Doyle, M Rossiter. Subs: S Barden for Bowler, S Casey for Cooney, J Gardiner for O’Connor, M Doyle for Doyle.

Westmeath – J Hyland; B Traynor, G Carr, D Healy; M Scally, E Nally, P Maxwell; F Coyne, S duncan; C Daly, A Roarke, N Gavin; C Mannion, J Halligan, B Berry. Subs: S O’Neill for Traynor, S Nxumalo for Roarke, R O’Toole for Healy, B Flynn for Scally, P Sleator for Gavin.

Ref – G Whelan (Wicklow).

Indo Sport

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport