Thursday 17 August 2017

Clare march on as Malone goal kills off 14-man Laois

Clare 2-18 Laois 0-14

Dublin's Eoghan O'Donnell and Laois' Paddy Purcell battle for possession. Photo: Sportsfile
Dublin's Eoghan O'Donnell and Laois' Paddy Purcell battle for possession. Photo: Sportsfile

Clare defeated Laois in Round 2A of the All-Ireland qualifiers for the second year in a row, cutting loose at O'Moore Park after the second-half dismissal of John O'Loughlin.

The Banner men took full advantage of Laois being reduced to 14 men in the 39th minute and cruised to victory. Just a point separated these teams last year, but it is a sign of the respective directions both counties are heading that Clare could ease to such a comprehensive victory 12 months on.

Clare jumped out to an early lead, Keelan Sexton stroking over a free with a little over a minute gone. Laois, who have struggled at the back all year, were committing to a more defensive game plan, funnelling men back in a bid to stifle the Clare attack.

It worked at times, but Eoin Cleary still found enough space to kick Clare's second point in the sixth minute. Donie Kingston finally got Laois on the scoreboard with a free, but Clare had the ball in the net moments later. Jamie Malone's joy was soon ended, however, when he was deemed to have over-carried the ball, and the goal was chalked off.

Stephen Attride brought Laois back on level terms, but a free from Eoin Cleary quickly restored the Clare advantage. That would prove to be the story of the first half, with Laois forever trying to reel Clare in, and Colm Collins' men finding a way to stay ahead.

Cathal O'Connor's brilliant point pushed Clare three ahead after 24 minutes, but Donie Kingston set up one score and added a free to keep Laois in the hunt. In a madcap 90 seconds of play after that, Jamie Malone saw his second goal chance brilliantly saved by Graham Brody, before the upright denied Laois's Gary Walsh a brilliant goal.

Laois kept themselves within one as half-time approached, but the Banner pushed hard before the whistle. Two points from Cleary and one from Gary Brennan drew just one in reply from Laois, a Gary Walsh free, as Clare led 0-11 to 0-8 at the interval.

Before a score was registered in the second half, Laois found themselves down to 14 men, O'Loughlin red-carded for an off-the-ball incident with Ciarán Russell. Donie Kingston curled over a brilliant free to give Laois hope that they could still get something from the game, but that was soon extinguished.

Clare hit back with points from Cleary and Cathal O'Connor, before Cleary set Jamie Malone through on goal and, with his third attempt, he finally raised a green flag.

That was effectively that, even with over 20 minutes to play, as Laois looked a beaten side, and Clare kept tagging on points at their ease. Keelan Sexton then added a second goal, as Laois were left to suffer through the remaining minutes in front of their home support.


Laois: D Kingston 0-8 (7f), S Attride 0-3, G Walsh (f), C Begley, D Conway 0-1 each.

Clare: E Cleary 0-9 (3f, 3 '45s), K Sexton 1-2 (1f); J Malone 1-1; G Brennan, C O'Connor, P Lillis 0-2 each.

Laois: G Brody; D Strong, M Timmons, T Collins; E Buggie, P McMahon, C Begley; B Quigley, J O'Loughlin; A Farrell, D Conway, D O'Connor; S Attride, D Kingston, G Walsh. Subs: N Donoher for O'Connor (h-t), J Kelly for Buggie (47), P Kingston for Conway (50), R Munnelly for Walsh (50), J Finn for Quigley (55), B Daly for Attride (60).

Clare: J Hayes; G Kelly, K Harnett, M McMahon; P Lillis, C Russell, D Ryan; G Brennan, C O'Connor; C O'Dea, E Cleary, S Collins; K Sexton, D Tubridy, J Malone. Subs: J Hayes for Russell (56), G O'Brien for Tubridy (56), S Malone for Sexton (61), D Nagle for O'Dea (61), E Collins for Harnett (64), K Malone for S Collins (68), D Bohannon for Lillis (68).

Referee: J Henry (Mayo)

Sunday Indo Sport

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport