Sunday 11 December 2016

Cavan escape 'ban' sanction

Published 18/01/2011 | 05:00

Cavan officials last night welcomed Croke Park's decision to take no action over claims that the winter training ban was broken last month.

  • Go To

GAA chiefs asked the Breffni County for an explanation after media reports that a training match involving squad members had taken place on the adjoining pitch at Breffni Park on December 11.

County PRO Declan Woods said he was delighted that Croke Park officials had found that the ban on collective training in November and December was not flouted.

"We're delighted that there will be no further distractions," said Woods. "We were asked to explain the allegations to Croke Park, and our version of events has been accepted."

Cavan made a losing start to the season, going down by two points to Derry in the Dr McKenna Cup at Breffni Park last weekend.

But Woods appealed to supporters to give new manager Val Andrews and his assistant Terry Hyland time to turn the county's fortunes around.

"The guys that are managing Cavan at the moment are both impassioned for Cavan football," he said. "They just want to take Cavan to a better place. They have our full support in that and we will be giving them the time to do it."

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport