Sport Gaelic Football

Wednesday 17 September 2014

Breen joy as 'great prospect' Reynolds seals Leitrim switch from Lilywhites

Published 03/01/2013 | 05:00

  • Share

Leitrim footballers have received a major boost ahead of the new season with promising Kildare footballer Cian Reynolds opting to transfer to the Connacht side.

  • Share
  • Go To

Reynolds featured at midfield for the Kildare U-21s in the Leinster championship last year but has decided to join his father's native county. However, he won't be available to Barney Breen and George Dugdale's squad for the Connacht FBD League as he will feature for Carlow IT in the O'Byrne Cup.

The Athy clubman will become the second player to avail of the parentage rule and transfer to Leitrim in the last year, after former Longford centre-back Enda Williams moved west and played a starring role in Leitrim's season, which included their first ever win in the qualifiers when they defeated Wicklow by 0-13 to 0-10 in July.

Joint manager Breen said he is delighted to have secured the services of such a versatile footballer, whose father hails from Ballinamore.

"We have managed to strengthen our squad somewhat with the introduction of Cian Reynolds from Kildare under the parentage rule," said Breen.

"Cian played U-21 for Kildare last year and is a great prospect. Unfortunately, he will be involved in the O'Byrne Cup for the early part of the season with Carlow IT, but we'll be keeping a close eye on him.

future

"He really is one for the future and it is a huge boost for us to be able to bring him in."

Meanwhile, Sligo forward David Kelly has been ruled out of the entire National League campaign but manager Kevin Walsh is confident that the key attacker will be back for the championship.

Kelly's career has been blighted by injury and he underwent surgery on a troublesome ankle before Christmas.

Kelly previously had ankle surgery in 2011 after picking up an injury playing for DCU in the Sigerson Cup, which meant he missed the entire 2011 league campaign.

A stop-start 2012 further halted his progress, but Walsh is happy that the Tubbercurry attacker will be ready for the start of Sligo's Connacht championship against London at the end of May.

"Losing David is a big loss for us. He will definitely miss all of our Division 3 campaign," said Walsh.

"He won't be playing again for a while. We knew he had to have the operation and it turned out he needed a bit more work done than was first thought.

"It will take a bit of time for him to get back. He is making very good progress, but he is a big loss for the league," said Walsh.

Irish Independent

Read More

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport