Tuesday 25 July 2017

Young certain Galvin will not walk away despite new ban threat

Paul Galvin. Getty Images
Paul Galvin. Getty Images
Donnchadh Boyle

Donnchadh Boyle

KERRY defender Killian Young insists that controversial team-mate Paul Galvin will not walk away from football, despite facing suspension for the third successive summer.

The Finuge man was close to quitting inter-county football after he was hit with a six-month ban for slapping a notebook out of referee Paddy Russell's hands in 2008, before that suspension was pared back to three months.

Galvin also reportedly considered his future after he was dismissed during this year's league clash with the Rebels, when, as was the case last Sunday, he tangled with Eoin Cadogan.

"He will be fine," insisted Young yesterday. "He has had worse times and he is well able to handle it. We would be hoping he would be back sooner rather than later.

"He's a fantastic leader. You can see on the pitch what a difference he can make to a team, the way he goes in for breaking ball, and it's one of the most important things."

And while the Renard clubman admitted that Galvin would be sorely missed, he denied this latest controversy would have an adverse affect on the panel.

"We don't even talk about it. You just get on with your football and try to impress the next day because there is such a demand in training. You are focused on that," said Young.

Galvin is set to miss the Munster final clash with Limerick after referee Pat McEnaney reviewed the clash and Young is unsure as to whether incidents should be revisited after games.

"(The CCCC) is cleaning up the sport. If something serious does happen, it is good to rectify those things. But it is hard to say. It is an amateur sport, so you could be saying it should be there or it shouldn't. It is debatable, but we will get on with it," he said.

Young expects to meet Cork again later in the summer, but warned that the qualifiers would provide a stern examination of their credentials.

"That's never the end of Cork anyway. It could happen that we meet them in the future, though this year I think the qualifiers will prove a much harder route to get through than it was last year. I think it's a difficult draw for them, but if they do get through, they'll be a stronger team for it," he said.

Irish Independent

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport