Wicklow games back on after insurance all-clear
Published 08/03/2011 | 05:00
There will be a full round of club fixtures in Wicklow this weekend after the confusion surrounding insurance was cleared up.
A number of games were called off last weekend due to fears that players weren't covered in case of accident.
However, county secretary Michael Murphy has confirmed that all scheduled fixtures will take place this weekend.
"What we understood was that players wouldn't have been covered under the insurance scheme," he said.
"But we've been in touch with Croke Park and they confirmed that they are covered until March 31 -- that's what the rule book says -- so clubs have until then to pay their premiums.
"We were informed that the player insurance scheme wouldn't have covered players last weekend.
"That is why the games were called off. The matches that did go ahead involved clubs that had already paid up.
"All we were doing was taking precautions on the information we had to hand.
"We didn't want someone getting hurt and not being covered -- but we've been given the all-clear and there will be a full round of matches this weekend."