Sport Gaelic Football

Sunday 4 December 2016

O Flatharta exit leaves Galway players fuming

Gaelic Games

Published 08/08/2011 | 05:00

Galway's footballers are unhappy at the manner in which Tomas O Flatharta has been removed as their manager after one year in charge.

  • Go To

O Flatharta was informed last week by Galway Football Board chairman John Joe Holleran that he had not won the confidence of the executive committee to continue with his three-year term.

They have now decided that the next manager should come from within the county, with U-21 manager Alan Mulholland the likely successor if he is interested.

O Flatharta's removal drew an angry response from Galway captain Finian Hanley, who admitted it was "hard to keep stability for progression".

"A lot of people thought after the championship was gone things would be reviewed and we'd look forward to next year and not make the same mistakes twice. It's hard to do that with Tomas' exit," said Hanley.

O Flatharta, who is on holidays, said he has accepted the decision not to continue but was adamant that with time he could have enjoyed success.

"When I was appointed last year I set out with a plan. A key part of that plan was building relationships with other sectors of the GAA in Galway, and in particular focusing on the development of younger players," O Flatharta said.

"As part of this, I developed a working relationship with the U-21 management, resulting in the integration of a large number of U-21 players into the senior set-up, which will show positive results in the next number of years.

"Over the three-year period I would absolutely have brought long overdue success to the Galway football team."

Meanwhile, reigning Galway champions Killererin were knocked out of the local championship by Salthill-Knocknacarra yesterday. They lost by 2-16 to 0-8.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport