Sport Gaelic Football

Tuesday 27 June 2017

London chief insists Exiles yet to reap rewards of player exodus

Cliona Foley

Cliona Foley

THERE may have been a mass exodus of players across the channel, but many of the talented new arrivals have yet to commit themselves to the Exiles football team, according to London chairman Tommy Harrell.

"A lot of players have come over recently -- I know some clubs have reported getting as many as 17 new footballers -- but unfortunately very few of them have committed to the county team so far," Harrell said.

He said the county's hurlers have benefited much more from the GAA's latest talent drain.

"The hurlers beat Meath and only lost to Wicklow and Derry by a point in the National League and Eamonn Phelan (manager) has picked up some very useful players," he said.

London's hurlers face Roscommon tomorrow in the Nicky Rackard Cup and their footballers take on Mayo in the opening round of the Connacht SFC on May 29.

WARPATH

Exiles football boss Paul Coggins is already on the warpath because Leitrim gave them a walkover in the last round of the league.

Leitrim refused to travel because they had already gone to London, only for their clash to be cancelled because of a water-logged pitch.

They argued that there was no point in forking out for a second trip when the result was irrelevant and they were fined by Croke Park for not fulfilling the fixture.

But Coggins said: "It's a very dangerous precedent. We're extremely disappointed that this game was called off as it would have been our last competitive game ahead of the championship.

"I don't understand how this would be allowed to happen.

"We want guarantees from Croke Park that this won't happen again. All fixtures in the league need to be fulfilled or what's the point? We're waiting on clarification from Croke Park as to how this was allowed happen."

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport