Kingdom will take nothing for granted, insists O Se
Published 26/07/2011 | 05:00
COMPLACENCY will not be an option for Kerry against Limerick in Sunday's All-Ireland quarter-final, according to Marc O Se, despite having walloped their Munster rivals by 11 points already this summer.
Indeed, O Se believes that he and his defensive colleagues have room for improvement as they conceded three goals against the Shannonsiders back in May.
While most pundits have already pencilled Kerry in to an All-Ireland semi-final, the two-time All Star insists Jack O'Connor's men will not be looking beyond Sunday's Croke Park encounter.
"I don't think it will be hard to motivate ourselves, all you have to do is look at how we did last year in the quarter-final against Down, that's motivation alone," he said.
"Limerick, at times, were able to carve the Kerry defence open and as a defensive group, you'd know that's something you'd like to think you're better than that."
Since easing past Limerick, Kerry have managed to put Cork to the sword in the Munster final and the Gaeltacht man says everything has run smoothly since then. "I think we are doing very well in training and in the games, it was a tough match against Cork and I think we did very well," he said.
Of course, it's very much a case of 'once bitten, twice shy' as far as O Se and his colleagues are concerned. This time last year, they were also expected to breeze into a semi-final, but Down dumped them out.
"It was unusual for us to be out of the championship at that stage given what we had achieved over the last few years. We are just going to try and get over this game and get into a semi-final," said O Se.
Kerry played Roscommon in a practice match in Limerick over the weekend and it gave O' Connor a chance to play Tomas O Se and Paul Galvin, with the latter "going well" according to Marc. "It's a game before the quarter-final, every team are playing at the moment so it was a handy one to get."