Sport Gaelic Football

Thursday 18 September 2014

Duffy casts doubt over 'severe' yellow card plans

Published 07/01/2013 | 05:00

  • Share

THE proposal to use yellow cards as a much more punitive measure in Gaelic football may be modified following comments by GAA director-general Paraic Duffy that he has reservations about it.

  • Share
  • Go To

The Football Review Committee wants a player who is issued with a yellow card to be sidelined for the remainder of the game and replaced by a substitute. They are also proposing that where three players from the same team are booked, no replacement be allowed for subsequent offenders and that where a player gets three yellow cards in the course of a season, he serves a two-match ban.

The tough measures have been criticised by several team managers and now Duffy has admitted to having reservations about the proposals.

"I think that the vast majority of the proposals will, if passed at Congress, make Gaelic football a better game to play and to watch but I would have reservations about the yellow card. Whether it would get through Congress is questionable. There's a view that the proposal around the yellow card is too severe," Duffy said on an RTE interview.

Duffy said that the FRC, chaired by Eugene McGee, had been sensible and pragmatic in how they went about their work and have been monitoring the responses to their proposals.

"The only real negative has been around the yellow card. That may need to be looked at – it's a matter for the committee. There's no point going to Congress with a proposal that is not going to be passed," he said.

The FRC has the option of modifying the proposal as motions for Congress in April are still in the drafting stage.

Duffy also expressed the view that it would be better if the FRC delayed the second half of its report, which will cover championship structures, until after Congress. It had originally planned to publish it later this month.

"It might be better to leave it until after Congress because if it comes out before that it might take away from the important debate on the proposals they have made on the actual game," he said.

Irish Independent

Read More

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport