Sunday 30 April 2017

Dublin chief Kettle pours cold water on 'Sam for sale' suggestions

GAELIC GAMES

Martin Breheny

Martin Breheny

THE Dublin County Board has moved swiftly to clarify the position in relation to the appearance of the Sam Maguire Cup on the celebration trail.

Reports that charges would apply at all venues were described as "absolute rubbish" by county chairman, Andy Kettle.

"There will be no charge for our clubs and schools who are doing so much for the GAA in Dublin. We're delighted to see the cup being brought to clubs and schools free of charge and that's how it will continue.

"However, at functions or promotions where there's a commercial involvement, a fee will apply. It will go to the training/holiday fund. We think it's only fair that if the presence of the cup is being used for commercial purposes, a charge should apply with the proceeds going towards training and a holiday," he said.

Meanwhile, Kerry County chairman Jerome Conway has confirmed that Jack O'Connor will remain on as manager for the remaining two years of his second stint.

Board officers met the Kerry management and player representatives on Thursday evening to draw up preliminary plans for next season.

"We appointed Jack O'Connor as manager of the Kerry senior team last year for a three-year term. He has one year served and he will be serving out the remaining two years.

"As for retirements, nothing has been said and I am sure players are concentrating on their clubs right now, so it will be Christmas before anybody will be making up their minds on that score," said Conway.

INSIDE

Previews of all the weekend's county finals PAGES 62-63

Irish Independent

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport