Monday 27 February 2017

Dromid weigh up options after 'shattering' three-year ban

Kieran McCarthy

DROMID Pearses are considering appealing the three-year ban they received following the ugly scenes that marred their All-Ireland club JFC semi-final loss to Derrytresk last month.

The South Kerry outfit have been hit with a three-year ban from all Munster and All-Ireland club competitions following their part in the fracas in Portlaoise.

Dromid chairman Michael Sheehan said that the club will now decide on whether to appeal the lengthy suspension.

"We are very disappointed with the penalties imposed, especially with the three-year ban," Sheehan said yesterday.

"For a small club like ours, that is a shattering blow.

"It will probably impact not only on football but on Scor as well, which is part of our club activities and something that is very important to us with so many native Irish speakers down here.

Options

"We will sit down as a club now and we will discuss what options are open to us in relation to an appeal."

As well as the three-year ban imposed by the CHC, Donal O'Sullivan will serve a three-month ban, Denis O'Sullivan was hit with an eight-week ban while Colm O'Connor is suspended for four weeks.

But the chairman admitted his relief that the fine of €2,000 has been halved.

"In these tough economic times, it is some relief that have got the fine halved but I still think that we have more of an issue with the three-year ban than the fine," he said.

"It will be much harder now to motivate players, but we have to try and move on, put it all behind us and try to progress as a club."

Sheehan also revealed that Dromid have had "no contact whatsoever" with Derrytresk since the incident-packed semi-final.

"And I would say it's highly unlikely we will in the future either," he added.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport