Sport Gaelic Football

Wednesday 7 December 2016

Drive to stop pitch invasions

Published 19/04/2010 | 05:00

THE move to end pitch invasions at Croke Park -- and indeed other venues -- after major games will be driven with a new vigour this summer after the GAA admitted they didn't get it right last year.

  • Go To

"We came to it too late last year. It's different this time. We're starting here at Congress and now want our delegates to go back to their counties with the clear message that pitch invasions have to stop," said GAA director-general Paraic Duffy.

Con Hogan, who is heading the GAA's ground safety group, painted a grim scenario, where he warned of tragedy if invasions weren't eradicated.

"Do we want to be standing here some time in the future observing a minute's silence in memory of people who died at one of our major games because we did not exercise due care and proper crowd control?" he asked.

Meanwhile, GAA president Christy Cooney said that it's unlikely the inter-provincials would be played anymore following the decision to drop them this year.

"I would expect a motion on the issue to come to Congress in 2011," he said. "We've tried everything with them but the interest isn't there."

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport