Dempsey to stay at helm
Published 28/07/2010 | 05:00
Luke Dempsey looks set to stay on as Carlow manager for one more season, WRITES COLM KEYS.
Dempsey has agreed in principle to stay on for a third year with the Leinster side, and that move is expected to be confirmed next week.
Across the border in Laois, the executive met on Monday night to begin the search to replace Sean Dempsey.
They spoke to Darragh O Se last week and he could have been tempted apparently, if an assistant he wanted to come with him for the job was available -- but that did not materialise.
Speculation linking the current Monaghan manager Seamus McEnaney with the job couldn't be confirmed in Laois yesterday.
In Donegal, Jim McGuinness will add another selector to his team later this week and has already opened negotiations.
But he has confirmed that Martin McHugh, the man he says pushed him to go for the U-21 job last year, won't be part of the team. McGuinness has a strong vision of the future for Donegal, but admitted yesterday that he had issues with the county board two years ago when John Joe Doherty's appointment was made.
McGuinness was unhappy with the way the interview process was carried out but is satisfied that a different board is in place now.
"I wasn't treated very well but it's all in the past now. I did give the U-21 job strong consideration because of that and how I was treated at the senior interview," he said.
Galway hurling board chairman Joe Byrne is determined to keep John McIntyre in charge of the Tribesmen for a third year.
McIntyre's two-year term came to an end with defeat to his native Tipperary on Sunday, but Byrne wants to keep the Galway-based journalist on board for another season.
"I hope the management stay on. I think it is very important for the development of the team; they have so much work done. It is imperative they do stay on. We'll sit down with John in a few weeks time and make sure that happens," said Byrne.
"The lads realised that they were so near but so far (against Tipperary)."