DCU's Walsh and Boyle ruled ineligible
CORK star Aidan Walsh and Donegal 'keeper Michael Boyle have been told that they are ineligible to play for Dublin City University in this year's Sigerson Cup.
The players were informed of the decision by the independent Disputes Resolution Authority (DRA) yesterday.
Walsh and Boyle played no part in last week's preliminary round victory against UL and will be unavailable again this afternoon when the holders meet Queen's , Belfast for a place in the quarter-finals.
Cork's 2010 All-Ireland winning midfielder Walsh and Boyle, Donegal's All-Ireland winning sub-goalkeeper, fell foul of a new rule that came into effect last year, preventing players who have studied for six years or taken more than two college courses from playing third-level hurling or football.
DCU officials had explored all possible avenues in an attempt to lift the bans imposed on the duo, but the DRA upheld earlier rulings from Higher Education officials and the GAA's Central Appeals Committee (CAC).
A Higher Education GAA official said last night: "These new rules were voted through at a CA (Comhairle Ardoideachais) EGM in 2011 and came into effect from September 1, 2012."
Following the comfortable victory over UL last week, DCU boss Niall Moyna revealed that his side had considered not fulfiling the fixture after learning that Walsh and Boyle were not allowed to play.