Breffni men deny breaking training ban
Cavan are vehemently denying that they have broken rules governing the training ban by staging a practice match on their 3G pitch in Kingspan Breffni Park on Sunday night.
The Cavan Board are adamant the team activity that took place on the training pitch was within their remit as it involved only players who were part of a development squad.
Under rule, collective training for players involved in 2010 championship squads is prohibited until January 1, but this is proving controversial and is being flouted on many fronts.
Up to two trials in November and December are permitted to allow managers to gauge potential new players but, inevitably, these trial games are turning into full-scale practice matches involving seasoned players.
Reports suggest that James Reilly and Cian Mackey took part on Sunday night, but Cavan PRO Declan Woods said Reilly was entitled to be there because he had dropped himself from the squad earlier this year.
"James wasn't involved for most of 2010, so there was nothing to prevent him from being there," said Woods.
"As regards Cian Mackey, he is injured. He was booked in for a gym session at 12.0 but that was put back to later in the evening because there was too much going on. That's why he why he was there.
Woods denied suggestions that there was up to three more 2010 championship players present.
"We were supposed to have a McKenna Cup panel in with the Ulster Council last week, so this was a start to see what shape we could be put on the panel," said Woods.
Croke Park sources suggested last night that they would write to Cavan County Board to seek clarification on the mater. Croke Park has left it to County Board officers to police the ban, but there has appeared to be little appetite to do so.
A majority of teams will only have nine days to officially stage collective training sessions before they play their first games of the new season.