Friday 22 September 2017

Tanner torments Glenealy as Eire Og progress

This was a very competitive match up to half time, but in that time Glenealy had the strong wind behind them.

However their half time lead of a single point was never going to be enough. Eire Og made maximum use of the wind in the second half.

One would have expected them to loft the ball high in the air to let the wind carry it forward. But no - they played the ball low all the time and let their nifty full forward line the chance to prevent it from drifting wide as it did in the first half.

Big Billy Cuddity was now winning the high ones while flying corner men James Cranley and Mathew Barden were mopping up the breaks and the loose balls.

While Glenealy had a tight enough defence fronting experienced goalie Keith Snell that did not worry the Greystones men. The road to goal may have been closed but they were happy enough go the scenic route.

Even against the wind Eire Og got off to a great start with James Cranley and the towering Jack Tanner sending over points. Glenealy steadied up and the unrelated Kavanagh's

Jack and Lee picked off points to level the game for the first time by the 7th minute.

Eire Og lost their experienced centre back Ger Whyte to injury in the opening minutes but his replacement Shane Nolan put his mark on the game in the 10th minute when he pointed a free. That brought a quick reply from the wee wizard Jamie Byrne who sent over a point to level the game for a second time.

Glenealy had fount their feet at that stage and two points from Alan Conyard(both frees) and one by Lee Kavanagh saw them go into a three point lead. However the tear-away Tanner sent two more long range shots between the posts to leave the half time score - Glenealy 0-6; Eire Og 0-5.

The second half was never going to be a happy hunting ground for Glenealy; however they defended well and made the Young Irelanders earn every single score. Shane Nolan had the sides level in the second minute; both Barden and Cranley rounded their markers to score points and Eire Og were on their way. Keith Snell made a brilliant save fron a Billy Cuddity pile driver but the big full forward put the rebound over the bar. At the three quarter stage

It was 0-11 to 0-6 and the game was slipping away from Glenealy. However they rallied again; Jack Kavanagh got their first point in the 46th minute and that brought a quick reply from Cranley the Reds were back in again to score the only goal of the match.

Glen 0'Gorman was the scorer and when he added a point in the 55th minute their was just a glimmer of light at the end of a very dark tunnel.

However that was quickly snuffed out. James Kelly sent over a point; 'Chester' had the point of the match from a line ball, Michael Walsh, Tanner, and Matt Barden closed the scoring with points and notice was served on Carnew that this was a team hell bent on taking the title.

My man of the match - Jack Tanner.

Scorers - Eire Og - Jack Tanner 0-4; James Cranley wnd Mathew Barden 0-3 each; Shane Nolan and Stephen Kelly 0-2 each; Billy Cuddihy, James Kelly and Michael Walsh 0-1.

Glenealy - Glen O'Gorman 1-1; Alan Conyard, Jack Kavanagh and Lee Kavanagh 0-2 each; Jamie Byrne 0-1.

Wicklow People