Monday 27 February 2017

Carnew power to victory

CARNEW EMMETS powered their way to a 14 points victory over Kilcoole in an Intermediate hurling game at Arklow on Tuesday night.

The gap between the sides was even greater than the score suggests as the Kilcoole goal by full-forward Fintan Donnelly was fired to the net in the last three minutes of the match.

However Kilcoole were without their best player and midfielder Ronan Keddy, serving a month's suspension, and there is no doubt he would have had a big influence on the pattern of play.

But there is no getting away from the fact that Carnew had some nifty young players in their team, particularly in attack, and they should provide an important supply line to their senior team going forward.

Midfielder Brendan McCrea is one of those up-and-coming Carnew players and he got the show on the road with the opening point in the first minute; Wayne Kinsella, Michael Collins and full-forward Joseph Hughes followed with similar scores in the first eight minutes as Carnew took a 0-4 to 0-1 lead, the sole reply for Kilcoole coming from evergreen Gerry Murray.

Jason Walsh in goal was one of the heroes for Kilcoole, bringing off a number of top class saves over the hour, while their full-back Ciaran Doyle is another young hurler of quality in their team.

Doyle later moved to centre-back in a swap with Vinny Quigley and then switched to midfield to try and kick start a rally, but was unfortunate to be sent off on a red card before the end.

Kilcoole's hard-working midfielder Peter O'Brien landed a point in the ninth minute and four minutes later Gerry Murray scored a mighty point from a free from inside his own half. Dara and Eoin Keddy worked hard but Carnew were landing the more telling punches, with Wayne Kinsella finishing to the net for a 1-8 to 0-5 lead at the break.

Kilcoole's Peter O'Brien replied to a first minute point by corner-forward Cormac Doyle after the restart, but Carnew had the game wrapped up minutes later when Brendan McCrea fired to the net to extend their lead to an unassailable 2-12 to 0-6.

Ciaran Balfe and Conor Lambert came on for Carnew and got their names on the scoresheet. Kilcoole's full-forward Fintan Donnelly had little impact on the game save for his late-late goal in the 57th minute. Carnew had victory well gift wrapped by then.

Scorers for Carnew were: Wayne Kinsella (1-1), Brendan McCrea (1-1), Michael Collins (0-5, 2f), Joseph Hughes (0-3), Cormac Doyle (0-3), Martin O'Brien (0-1), Ciaran Balfe (0-1), Joe Murphy (0-3), Dan Nolan (0-1), Conor Lambert (0-1),

Kilcoole: Gerry Murray (0-2, one free), Mark Curran (0-2), Peter O'Brien (0-3), Eoin Keddy (0-2), Fintan Donnelly (1-0).

Read More

Promoted articles