Tuesday 17 October 2017

Rescue teams called into mountain action


The rescue team whirls into action after receiving an SOS call from the Wicklow Mountains.
The rescue team whirls into action after receiving an SOS call from the Wicklow Mountains.


FIVE PEOPLE were rescued in two separate mountain rescues last Sunday.

At 11.35am the Dublin and Wicklow Mountain Rescue Team and the Glen of the Imaal Irish Red Cross Mountain Rescue Team were contacted by the gardaí after a walker fell close to the Miners Village in Glendalough. The injured man who was in his 50s was descending the zig-zag track into the Miners Village in Glendalough when he fell, injuring himself.

He had been walking with his family when he tripped and fell, badly cutting his face and incurring a neck injury. He was met my members of the mountain rescue teams where he was treated for his injuries and stabilised with the help of An Garda Síochána.

Due to the nature of his injury, an Irish Aer Corps helicopter was tasked to his location. However, the helicopter was unable to complete an airlift in Glendalough because of the weather conditions and high winds and instead routed to Laragh GAA pitch.

The man was transported by road by a HSE ambulance to the Laragh GAA pitch where a transfer was completed at 2pm and he was flown to Tallaght hospital for further treatment.

Shortly after at 2.20pm, the rescue teams were called upon again by the gardaí.

The teams were asked to come to the aid of four walkers, three men and a woman who had gotten lost whilst descending Lugnaquilla, Wicklow's highest mountain. The walkers had split into two groups.

The separate groups had both summited the mountain and upon descent took a wrong turn and end up in the wrong valley. Both parties were due to descend into the Glen Of Imaal but descended into the Ow Valley.

The first group, a man and a woman in their 20s, having realised they were lost in very bad visibility had alerted Mountain Rescue saying they were lost. They then met the second group of two men. The two groups decided to stick together as a group until they were met by Mountain Rescue. The group were located using the SARLOC custom built mountain rescue location program with the use of their smartphone.

Once located, a number of team members were dispatched to their location where they were met and walked off the mountain to a waiting 4x4 vehicle. They were transported back from the Ow Valley to their vehicles in the Glen of Imaal by 4pm. Comments Facility

INM has taken the decision to remove the commenting facility on its online platform to minimise the legal risk to our business that arises from Ireland's draconian libel awards system.

We continue to look forward to receiving comments through direct email contact or via social media, some of which may still be featured on the website