Saturday 19 August 2017

Man jailed for post office raid


AN ENNISKERRY man was jailed for five and a half years at Wicklow Circuit Court recently.

Mark Keogh ( 21), 66 Monastery Grove, Enniskerry pleaded guilty to robbing €4,985 from Enniskerry Post Office with another person and while doing so putting Imran Malik in fear of being subjected to force on December 6, 2010.

He further pleaded guilty to robbing a case of Budweiser from the Centra Off Licence on the Boghall Road and possession of a knife at the car park of Centra, Boghall Road on January 7, 2012.

In respect of the robbery at Enniskerry Post Office Keogh was one of two men who entered the post office with masks on shouting that they wanted money.

Keogh had a gun and pointed it at a staff member shouting 'give me everything'.

A total of €4,985 was handed over during the robbery and both men left.

Mr. Malik nor the other staff member were injured but both were very frightened by the robbery.

Keogh was arrested and admitted pointing the gun at staff demanding money.

He said he paid off a drug debt and had lost some money during the escape as he ran.

Keogh also admitted to gardai that he had been part of a number of people who had checked into the Ritz Carlton that night where they had spent the night drinking.

The gun in question was an unlicenced air rifle.

Keogh told gardai he was taking ' bubble' at the time which Garda O'Reilly said is a cocaine like drug.

In respect of the second matter the court heard employee Brendan Murphy was working when Keogh came in with a knife saying it was an attempted hostage situation.

He was ' extremely agitated' and Mr. Murphy was in fear of being stabbed.

Keogh left the shop and went to the car park where he was approached by the manager of Centra, David Hempenstall.

Keogh pointed the knife at Mr. Hempenstall in a threatening manner saying 'I'm only after coming out of Newcastle'.

Keogh then went to Ballywaltrim Playground where he started drinking the bottles of Budweiser and pointing the knife in the direction of gardai.

Keogh began to self harm making superficial cuts to his forearm and the garda Regional Support Unit was called in.

Keogh was restrained at 3.05pm and arrested.

During interview he said he had been feeling suicidal and was on medication.

He said he 'wasn't in the right state of mind and wanted to get help for the voices in his head'.

The court heard Keogh is currently serving a sentence and is due for release in January 2015. Keogh's mother also gave evidence saying until he was 16 Keogh was no trouble but following a holiday in Spain where he took ill he changed, first developing anorexia and then becoming very withdrawn.

She said his life had ' changed fundamentally' after that holiday and he started getting into trouble.

Judge Michael O'Shea said all three incidents were very frightening for the victims.

He sentenced him to three and a half years imprisonment for the robbery at the post office and sentenced him to two years on each of the charges relating to January 7.

He directed the two two-year sentences run concurrently but directly it run consecutively to the three and a half year sentence giving a total sentence of five and a half years.