Sign of concern for future of bull beef?
WITH over 400 lots of bulls on offer at Tullow on Saturday, the trade was very brisk for the quality calves with a 96 per cent clearance. One overall point to note was fewer farmer customers around the ring. Is this a sign of the concern for bull beef and its future in Ireland? This, in turn, leaving lesser calves a weaker trade.
Exporters were very active around the ring with quality well breed calves selling from 2.5 up to a tops of 3.60 for the prise winners. While the majority of E & U grade calves sold from 2.65 to 2.90 per kg for the calves between 380 and 460 Kg.
* 1st John O Toole, Crosslow 2 BB 455 Kg - €1,630
* 2nd Denis Maher, Ballon 2 LM 465 Kg - €1,280
* 3rd James Kavanagh Myshall 2 BB 458Kg - €1,470
* 4th Pat Whelan, Munny 2 CH 360Kg - €1,090
* 5th Frank Bailey, Killinure, 2 BB 440Kg - €1,380
* 1st Owen O'Neill, Fenagh, BB 480Kg - €1,640
* 2nd John O'Toole, Crosslow BB 490Kg - €1,640
* 3rd James Kavanagh, Myshall BB 475Kg - €1,690
* 4th John O'Toole, Crosslow LM 435Kg - €1,500
* 5th James Kavanagh, Myshall LM 460Kg - €1,460
* 6th Trevor Watkins, Ardattin BB 290Kg - €1,090
Best Limousin Bull
* Lorraine Kealy, Ballon 480Kg - €1,290
Cattle Sale – Friday September 20
Strong trade for quality cattle with prices improved for forward store cattle both heifers and bullocks.
Cull Cows – Sold from €150 with the Kg for feeding FR types up to €2 per Kg for heavy cont cows.
Fwd Blks – Trade improved here by up to €50 per head with prices ranging from €400 with Kg for planner types up to a tops of €920 with Kg for quality lots.
Store Blks – More farmer custom with prices fully maintained on last week. Selling from €300 with the Kg for lighter planner blks up to €850 for quality cont blks.
Fwd Heifers – Brisk trade with factory agent demand, with planner heifers selling from €450 with the Kg up to a tops of €1000 with the Kg. Age is playing a role in price.
Store Heifers – Demand is definitely meeting supply with prices fully maintained selling from €250 with the Kg for the 300Kg plan types up to €820 with Kg for good shapely cont. heifers.
ASHFORD MART SHEEP SALE
Fat Lambs sold to a top of €95 for 50kg. Store lambs on offer proved to be good value for buyers with lambs 34kg making €60 and 36kg making €62. Breeding Hoggets selling to a top of €120. Breeding ewes were harder sold with good ewes 2,3 and 4 years old selling to a top of €75.
Cast ewes selling to a top of €76 for good heavy ewes. Contact 0404 49706, Pat O'Neill on (087) 256 418, Ray Gaffney on (087) 2583729, email email@example.com