Dunne rules 'Gizzy' out of summer campaign
WEXFORD WILL be without the services of attacker Diarmuid 'Gizzy' Lyng for their Leinster championship opener with Dublin on June 8.
Lyng, who missed the entire National League campaign owing to a virual complaint, had taken two weeks out in Australia during the Easter school holidays in an effort to seek a remedy for the problem.
But despite his best efforts, manager Liam Dunne has indicated that the St. Martin's clubman will not be part of their plans for the summer campaign.
'Gizzy wont be in our plans for the summer. He has missed too much time at this stage,' Dunne said.
It had been hoped that Lyng would have been able to return to training early this month but this hasn't materialised and he has failed in his bid to get back to fitness.
The loss of Lyng is a considerable setback. Having just returned to the squad late in the league last year, having taken time out to travel the world, Lyng was his side's leading marksman both from frees and general play. His last game in the purple and gold was against Cork in last year's qualifier defeat in Semple Stadium in Thurles.
With Dunne having ruled him out of the equation, Lyng joins colleague Liam Og McGovern, who has also said he would not have the necessary fitness built up, having undergone operations on both hips earlier this year.
Meanwhile, last year's full-back Matthew O'Hanlon is also ruled out as he is studying in Spain.
Also missing from the league and championship is a St. Anne's clubmate of McGovern, Diarmuid O'Keeffe.
After a promising debut season in 2012, O'Keeffe, who was developing into an excellent forward, has decided to go travelling at the end of May.
With considerable pressure mounting on Wexford to perform, particularly in the wake of their heavy league defeat to the Dubs, Dunne can ill-afford the loss of any further players as he continues his rebuilding of a side which retained its Division 1B status, but disappointingly missed out on pushing for promotion.