independent

Thursday 31 July 2014

Chairman goes on the attack

Published 26/02/2013|05:42

  • Share

WEXFORD'S FAILURE to enter this year's Leinster Intermediate hurling championship brought a sharp response from the County Chairman targeted at critics of the decision.

  • Share
  • Go To

Diarmuid Devereux, referring to an article in this newspaper, namely an interview with Seamus Murphy, former Wexford hurling manager at Under-21, Intermediate and Senior levels, told the meeting there were certain inaccuracies in it.

In the interview it was claimed that no one could be found to manage the team which was not true, Devereux said, while it was decided by the county management committee with the support of County Board not to participate.

He also told the meeting that only two counties, Kilkenny and Wexford, had participated in the past, with none of the remaining Leinster counties entering, while only €200 was taken at last year's final.

'The county management made a decision and the County Board backed it. The only way to change it is by way of motion from a club,' he said.

It was also referred to in the article that they had received numerous telephone calls but no one had rang him.

'Where are the people who are unhappy with this, are they now working in Wicklow or Carlow? I'm fed up with people being singled out, people who are working for the G.A.A. and being shot at. If a club wants to bring in a motion bring it in here for discussion,' he said.

Wexford People

Read More

Classifieds

CarsIreland

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet, chat and connect with
singles in your area

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet Singles Now

Findajob

Apps

Now available on

GrabOne Deals

News