independent

Wednesday 1 October 2014

Former prisoner is sent back to jail

Published 02/08/2014 | 00:00

  • Share

A New Ross man who was released from prison less than a year ago was sent back to jail when he appeared before Wexford District Court last week.

  • Share
  • Go To

Before the court was John Kinsella, of 54 Mount Carmel, who pleaded guilty to the unauthorised taking of a motor vehicle at 1 Abbeyview, New Ross, on June 12, 2012.

He further pleaded guilty to burglary at 1 Abbeyview on the same occasion.

Inspector Sean Clince told the court that gardai went to the home of the injured party where they found the defendant. A barring order was in place at the time.

The court was told that Kinsella had a large number of previous convictions.

Defence solicitor Gerry Flynn said that in the summer of 2012 a number of offences were committed by Kinsella, who had been convicted and sentenced.

He served a sentence and with remission was released at the end of August last year.

The defendant, he said, had in the past had a serious substance abuse problem including a difficulty with heroin and was doing well until about six weeks when he lapsed.

Mr Flynn said the lady who had the barring order against him is the mother of two of his children. Down the years he had been attempting to see the children but there was a difficulty in that regard. He is 29 years of age and is again substance free while he is also liaising with the Probation and Welfare services.

Judge Haughton said the barring order and other matters go back to June 2012.

There was no explanation given in court for the delay in the matters coming before the judge more than two years after they occurred.

Judge Haughton sentenced the defendant to nine months in prison on each charge, the sentences to run concurrently from last Monday's court. He fixed recognisances in the event of an appeal.

Wexford People

Read More

GrabOne Deals

News