Tuesday 21 October 2014

High five for victorious Coola

Published 24/12/2013 | 05:40

Coola, winners of the Sligo Schools’ Senior Championship final for the fifth time.

Coola Vocational school defeated Jesus and Mary Enniscrone in the Sligo Senior Schools' Championship final to make it five championships in a row.

Coola Vocational school defeated Jesus and Mary Enniscrone in the Sligo Senior Schools' Championship final to make it five championships in a row.

In a game played in mild conditions for the time of year in Tourlestrane, both teams served up a free flowing contest with some fabulous scores.

Coola opened the scoring with a point from the lively Mark Keegan before Enniscrone levelled shortly afterwards through a free from Michael Gordon. It was tit for tat in the opening part of the game before Michael Kilkenny pounced on a mistake in the Enniscrone box to toe poke the ball to the back of the net. This did not affect Enniscrone though and they responded with two well worked scores, the first from the lively Stephen Curley and Trevor Kilgannon.

At this stage the game was very evenly balanced with both teams bringing a good intensity to the game. Jodie O'Reilly and Trevor Kilgannon swapped scores and James Mackey added another for Coola to leave two between the sides mid way through the first half. O'Reilly added two more as he began to cause the Enniscrone backline a lot of problems.

However, Enniscrone did'nt panic and responded with two excellent scores one from Curley and the second a tremendous point from the boot of Shane Wright. Wright quickly then added a second before a great move involving several players ended up with Vincent Corcoran scoring an excellent point from the left hand side of the goal. O'Reilly added another point to leave the half time score 1-7 to 0-7.

The second half started lively with both teams having chances but it was Coola who took their chances in this period with Michael Kilkenny latching on to a loose ball around the goal. Afterwards, Daniel Willis tapped over another score. Coola then put themselves ten in front when Kilkenny finished excellently grabbing himself a hat trick. At this stage Coola looked to be in total control and were playing great football.

However as a lot of teams do when leading they took their eye off the ball. Enniscrone started to take over the middle of the field and Curley came out to centre forward and started to cause problems with his direct running. One of these runs resulted in his first goal. Coola responded with a point from James Mackey. In the last ten minutes Enniscrone started to take over, two superb long range scores from the boot of Michael Gordon brought the score back to six points before Daniel Willis went on a great run starting in his own half back line to kick the score of the game for Coola.

This did not knock the stuffing out of the west Sligo lads as, with three minutes remaining Curley grabbed his second after a mistake in the Coola defence. At this stage Coola were very much on the back foot. Curley had another chance but the Coola defence snuffed his shot and it went wide.

Pat Kilcoyne presented the trophy to winning captain, James Mackey.

COOLA: K Crawley, P McGoldric, C McHugh, K Kilfeather, V Corcoran (0-1), T O'Rourke, O Gilmartin, C McCann, J Mackey (0-2), D Conlon, D Willis (0-2), M Mullaney, M Keegan (0-1), J O'Reilly (0-4), M Kilkenny (3-0). Subs: P Higgins, K Conlon, E O'Connell, J Gaffney

ENNISCRONE: D Regan, C Gillen, C Gallagher, N Hannon, P Flynn, J Scott, M O'Dowd, S Wright (0-2), M Gordon (0-3), K Duffy, J Earlis, T Kilgannon (0-2), S Carabine, J McGuinness, S Curley (2-2).

Sligo Champion

Read More

GrabOne Deals