independent

Thursday 24 August 2017

Strandhill's 20 year sculpture still gone

The Strandhill monument
The Strandhill monument

Strandhill's 20 year old monument removed by the Council over a year ago from its original plinth on the promenade won't be replaced any time soon.

It vanished in an early morning raid by the County Council on February 22nd last year.

Uproar ensued on social media at the time and the 'SOS Save Our Sculpture' Facebook page was set up by concerned residents.

Sligo County Council told The Sligo Champion that the sculpture was "temporarily removed" for examination and any necessary repairs and would be restored in "a matter of weeks."

However almost 15 months later there's no sign of it being restored.

When queried by this newspaper, a spokesperson for the Council said: "Following review and technical examination, a more secure fixing mechanism is being investigated by Sligo County Council to ensure the security and structural stability of the art piece is achieved in advance of proposed restoration.

"This assessment work is ongoing with technical assessment being considered to comply with Health & Safety and any Insurance requirements prior to instatement being considered."

Sligo Champion

News