independent

Friday 22 August 2014

Minister will not cover O'connell Street cost

MICHAEL MORAN AND PAUL DEERING AT SLIGO COUNTY COUNCIL AND SLIGO BOROUGH COUNCIL

Published 13/11/2012 | 12:21

  • Share

COUNTY MANAGER Hubert Kearns has confirmed that Environment Minister Phil Hogan will not provide 100% funding for planned enhancement works at O'Connell Street meaning the project will not go ahead.

  • Share
  • Go To

Mr Kearns said to date the Minister had not agreed to grant funding to cover the entire cost of the works estimated at around €467,000. The council was to provide 10% of the cost but is unable to do so. Clr MacManus described the situation as "a total and utter disaster". "The reality is that there is no likelihood whatsoever of the Department providing 100% funding," he said.

Clr MacManus claimed there were "tranches" of money available from various Government departments but the Council wasn't in a position to provide matching funds.

This, said Cl. MacManus, was a serious slight on the County Manager's position.

The Manager was asked to make a statement on the matter but he replied that he had already answered the query.

"You have a responsibility to make a statement. This is not the first case you need to answer for under your stewardship," said Clr. MacManus.

Clr Bree said that the Government could not be blamed on this occasion.

Read More

GrabOne Deals

News