City Hall to play key role in Yeats Day
Sligo City Hall will no longer host meetings of Sligo Borough Council.
But for the first time this year, it's a venue for Yeats Day.
And it's appropriate.
In City Hall Assembly Rooms, there was, at one time, a theatre, where William Butler Yeats and his brother Jack B Yeats performed plays to enthralled audiences.
Artist Paul Murray hopes there will be many such cultural events in City Hall, which he described as "a beautiful space."
At 10:30am on Yeats Day, June 13th, there will be an exhibition of mail art wishing Yeats a 'Happy Birthday.'
And at 6pm, students from the Eily Kilgannon School of Drama will perform the Yeats play "The Only Jealousy of Emer" at City Hall.
According to Yeats Day organiser Senator Susan O Keeffe, the gatherings at City Hall will rekindle memories for many people as Feis Shligigh used take place there.
The siting of Sligo Town Hall at its present location was suggested by F.M. Olpherts, agent for John Wynne of Hazelwood House, in 1861.
It was designed by the Dublin architect William Hague and was built by the Dublin firm OF Crowe and Brothers for the sum of £5,000.
Crowe and Brothers were no strangers to Sligo Town, having just finished construction of Sligo Railway Station.
Sligo City Hall is of a modern Italian Renaissance style.