Monday 29 May 2017



The Charlie Kehoe Perpetual Memorial billiards competition is run to honour the late Charlie Kehoe who lost his life tragically in a fire in 1971. The first running of the competition was in 1979, and the first winner was Denis North.

Our two finalists for 2012 were John Lyng and Liam Connolly. Lyng was the 2011 champion and he was looking for back-to-back wins, while Connolly on the other hand was looking for his first win in the competition. He had won all of the other major cometitions in the club, but the Charlie Kehoe billiards had eluded him.

Both were playing off minus handicaps - Lyng was -120 and Connolly was -90 - and the game was up to 200, so both players had to score their minus, then go back to scratch, and the first to score 200 was then the winner.

Connolly was the first to go back to scratch and Lyng was not far behind. There was always only ten or 20 points between them and the first 100 was close. But as they got to the last 100, Lyng hit top form and looked to be in command with breaks of 16, 18, 21 and 24.

Connolly had other ideas and, with breaks of 13, 18, 19 and 21, he went on to win by a score of 200 to 151 so his wish came true and he was crowned champion. Lyng was a gallant loser and, for the record, Denis Anderson is the only player to have won the Charlie Kehoe billiards seven times.

Referee for the final was John Bennett and score marker was Jack Power. The club would like to thank all who took part.


Saturday in Southknock saw the Under-19s seeking to continue their recent good form in their first home match of the Leinster League, with the opposition being provided by Wicklow. The match started brightly with Ross being awarded three kickable penalties in the first five minutes, with Robbie Vallejo eventually managing to convert the third one.

This then settled the nerves and was quickly followed by a Kevin Browne try following consternation in the Wicklow back line leading to an interception, after which Kevin showed a great turn of pace and touched down under the posts. The successful conversion by Robbie Vallejo and a penalty soon afterwards by Wicklow kept the tension high, with the large crowd being well entertained.

Ross then went on the offensive again and this ended up with Conor Dempsey going over after multiple forward phases in close. Robbie Vallejo added the conversion and another penalty before halftime.

The second-half resumed with Ross again constantly on the offensive with huge carries from Robbie Larkin, Seán Grace and Joe Coughlan and fantastic groundwork by Joe Coughlan and Bryan Haberlin. Gavin Mernagh continued to deliver quick ball to the backs and it was clear that it would only be a matter of time before the whitewash would be breached again.

The pressure again resulted in Wicklow collapsing and Barry Walsh squeezed over in the corner. With Ross now in total control, the only question was how large the winning margin would be. Paudie Barden, playing an imperious game at full-back, showed blistering pace to get on the end of a back line move and touched down in the corner for a well-deserved try, and some five minutes later Robbie Vallejo added another penalty to put the final score at New Ross 35, Wicklow 3.

This was another serious display of talent and commitment from this Under-19 squad, with all of the players getting on the pitch. The man of the match award went to Joe Coughlan who cleaned up huge amounts of ball on the deck and totally eclipsed his opposite number.

Squad: Kevin Browne, John Caulfield, Conor Dempsey, Mikolaj Kochanski, Robbie Larkin, Joe Coughlan, Eoin Quirke, Seán Grace, Gavin Mernagh, Barry Walsh, Seán Crowdle, Robbie Vallejo, Eanna Burke, Nathan Prendergast, Paudie Barden, Mark Murphy, Bryan Haberlin, Alex McKenzie, David Manning, Michael Coyne, Callum Wallace.

After a long bus journey following their impressive win against Wicklow the previous week, New Ross Under-17s started the game full guns blazing against Clane on Saturday last.

After just five minutes Tim Coughlan made a break in his own '22 and ran the length of the pitch to place the ball under the posts to provide an easy kick for captain Adam Swan.

Things were looking good for New Ross as speedy winger Aaron Fenlon bolted down the sideline and touched down under the posts, again leaving an easy job for Adam Swan. The try was then replicated as Fenlon showed his speed again to score under the posts which Swan converted easily.

A break from Niall Coughlan and a quick pass gave Adam Swan the opportunity to score an easy try. The teams went in at half-time with New Ross in the lead 28-12.

New Ross didn't let up as hard work got the team into the Clane '22. A wide pass was thrown to Adam Swan and he dived over the line ten metres from the posts. He secured the extra two points comfortably. Aaron Fenlon finally got his hat-trick as he again ran down the sideline and touched down under the posts.

Adam Swan and Tim Coughlan linked up again to set up the latter's second try. The match was topped off by a wide pass from Niall Coughlan to Danny Comiskey who scrambled his way through three players and touched down in the corner.

All in all it was a good result for New Ross, finishing 56-12.

Team: Mark Nolan, Cillian Fenlon, Martin O'Connor, Ian Egan, John Roche, Sam Prendergast, Roy Daniels, Tim Coughlan, Niall Coughlan, Adam Swan (capt.), Aaron Fenlon, Garrett Browne, Eanna Kennedy, James Kinsella, Aaron Kehoe.

New Ross Under-15s hosted Kilkenny in their third Leinster league game of the season. Ross had already won their first two outings against Tullow and Clane in the league.

This was to be one of their toughest clashes yet. Both sides competed strongly for the ball from the kick-off. The Kilkenny back line consisted of strong runners and hitters who tried to take control of the opening minutes.

Kilkenny were unlucky not to be ahead after some well-organised plays. Ross sucked up the opening flurry from the visitors and after some solid play from the Ross pack, the ever-dominant captain, Calum Crean, picked and dragged himself, four Kilkenny players and the ball over for the first try.

Within a few minutes and after some solid tackling from Ross, Cormac Tierney received clean ball, rounded the Kilkenny back line and scored a diving try in the bottom corner which was cheered from the sideline by the many supporters and parents.

Kilkenny were not about to take this lying down and hit back with a try after fine strong running from their number ten who broke through two tackles and scored under the posts. The conversion had put the score at the close to 10-7 in favour of Ross before the half-time whistle was blown.

Michael Dwyer came on in the secondhalf for Ross and made an enormous difference by scoring almost straight away after receiving a Barry Roche pass on the Kilkenny '22 and, after breaking through numerous tackles, touching down for his first of three tries.

In addition to this, Saliu Cullen broke the Kilkenny defence with a weaving run to score after a very strong surge from the Ross forwards. Barry Roche had also added a conversion to one of Michael Dwyer's tries.

Kilkenny repeatedly tried to break through the Ross lines but to no avail. The workrate throughout the game from the Ross 15 was again too much for their opposition. Full-time score: New Ross 32, Kilkenny 7.

Team: Callum Crean, Cathal Boland, Luke English, James Fitzgerald, Oisín Murphy, Shane Power, John Buckley, Liam Whelan, Saliu Cullen, Barry Roche, Cormac Tierney, Patrick Whelan, Morgan Purcell, David Thorpe, Patrick Hickey. Replacements - Michael Dwyer, Adam Fitzgerald, Josh Hoff, Liam Furness, Ciarán Murphy.

Promoted articles