Asbestos blown off Albatros removed
Published 18/03/2014 | 05:38
THE OWNER of the Albatros site has arranged for all the asbestos sheeting blown from the eyesore to be cleared.
Ten one-tonne bags and ten pallets containing ACM asbestos sheeting and fragments in the shed were removed by contractor employees last week. Wall steel workers started working on site on March 7 and have continued working on site since.
Town Manager Eamonn Hore said owner Matt Jennings has been true to his word to date and has undertaken to demolish and clear the Wexford side of the old fertiliser plant in Rosbercon by the end of this year. A planning application to demolish the Kilkenny side of the building is due to be submitted.
Mr Hore said no ACM fragments were noted at ground level on the eastern section of the site and to the left of the internal road in front of the entrance except for one piece.
He said Wall steel employees wearing disposable overalls and masks were gathering loose asbestos fragments in the area to the right of the entrance gate early last week. There is a plan to begin removing sheeting from the front building starting along the N25 this week and also to start to remove fragments from inside the buildings at ground level.
Mr Hore said: 'They are finished their first phase and the HSA called to the site and they were very happy with the progress being made.'
New Ross Standard