Wednesday 27 August 2014

Falvey inspires Killorglin victory

Published 12/06/2013 | 05:36

  • Share
Front l-r: Shane McSweeney, Lar O'Connor, John Regan (FAI), Kieran O'Shea (capt), Sean O'Keeffe (FAI), Mike Kelliher, Paul McKenna and Karl Falvey. Back l-r: Aidan O'Connor, Johnny Carey, Jerry O'Brien, Sean Costello, Ryan Keane, Chris O'Connor, Alan O'Connor, Lee Carey, Dillon Carey, Mike Griffin (manager),Gary Cahillane and Mitchell O'Sullivan. Photo: Paul Tearle

Denny Premier B Final

  • Share
  • Go To

Killorglin FC 2

Asdee Rovers 0

WHEN a team defends well, takes their chances when they get them, they usually reach the promised land and Killorglin epitomisd this at balmy Mounthawk Park on Sunday when they were crowned Premier B Champions after defeating the long time league leaders Asdee Rovers in a very entertaining game.

Played in scorching heat both sides are to be commended for the manner in which they overcame it and referee Stuart Templeton showed great common sense in allowing bottles of water on the sidelines, which players could take a drink from whenever they needed it.

On the day Killorglin were the better side, but they were asked serious questions in the second half and had to pull out all the stops to keep Asdee at bay. Asdee persisted with launching high balls it the Killorglin box in the opening half and each and every one of them was cleared to safety by Killorglin's man of the match Karl Falvey who had an outstanding game. They were also winning the fight at midfield where Mike Kelliher, Jerry O'Brien, Sean Costello and Ryan Keane were excelling while up front Johnny Carey and Paul McKenna were a constant threat.

Asdee enjoyed a short spell of pressure early on forcing a couple of corners without being able to get a shooting chance. Their best chance came from Noel Long, but just as he was about to pull the trigger Lar O'Connor got in with a superb tackle to deny him.

Gradually Killorglin began to dominate the game and they went ahead in the 18th minute after a wonderful sequence of build up play. Paul McKenna was the architect of it all winning the ball and making a great run from midfield. He then had the vision to lay the ball off to Ryan Keane, who had Johnny Carey in his radar and when he rolled it across to him the speedy striker applied a great finish from 10 yards.

Ten minutes later Asdee won a free kick at midfield, which was driven into the goalmouth by Jeremiah Tydings, but the Killorglin custodian dealt with it very well with a punched clearance. Play then moved down the other end with Jerry O'Brien putting Johnny Carey in behind the Asdee defence and with the Asdee goalie Tommy Quinn off his line he tried to chip him, but he got a hand to it at the expense of a corner.

It was floated right into the goal-line by Aidan O'Connor and with players from both sides scrambling for he ball it came off the back and shoulder of Johnny Carey and ended up in the back of the net. It may have been fortuitous, but they all count. Asdee knew they had a mountain to climb in the second half, but manager John Gorman done a bit of a reshuffle bringing in Kieran McElligott for Cillian Beasley and Charlie Dalton for Maurice O'Connor. McElligott turned the tide at midfield for Asdee and they now looked a much more potent force.

Noel Long was very influential in the middle of the park and Asdee were putting some good chances together. Liam McElligott forced a corner and when he sent it into the goalmouth Long was only a whisker away from finishing it. However, Asdee were also very vulnerable on the break and Johnny Carey went close but his effort to chip the Asdee goalie was just a fraction too high while sub Gary Cahillane was not far away with a back post header from a Paul McKenna cross.

Coming up to the hour mark Asdee had two chances, but Liam McElligott's effort from a corner was taken off the line and a Noel Long effort was at the wrong side of the post. They had the ball in the net in the 61st minute but Charles Dalton was flagged for offside. The Killorglin goalie Chris O'Connor breathed a sigh of relief as a John Griffin fizzer from 25 yards was just inches over he bar.

Asdee's best chance to get a vital goal back came in the 80th minute when Noel Long opened up the Killorglin defence with a great down the wing and he then drilled it low to Liam McElligott eight yards out and you bet your house on him to score, but somehow he took his eye off the ball and did not make the contact necessary to test the Killorglin goalie and by now Asdee knew it was not going to be their day.

It proved to be a bridge too far for Asdee Rovers who could never recover from those two first half goals. Killorglin were very worthy winers at the end.

Both sides are promoted to Premier A so a stern test awaits them when the new season begins.

Asdee Rovers: Tommy Quinn, John Martin Horgan, Cillian Beasley, Jeremiah Tidings, Maurice O'Connor, Noel Long, Joseph O'Brien, John Griffin, Mark Culloty, Darren Russell, Liam McElligott. Subs: Charles Dalton for Maurice O'Connor, Kieran Mc Elligott for Cillian Beasley, Billy Finucane for Jeremiah Tydings

Killorglin: Chris O'Connor, Kieran O'Shea, Lar O'Connor, Karl Falvey, Aidan O'Connor, Mike Kelliher, Jerry O'Brien, Sean Costello, Ryan Keane Paul McKenna, Johnny Carey Subs: Gary Cahillane for Mike Kelliher, Eoin Kelliher for Aidan O'Connor, Shane McSweeney for Aidan O'Connor

Referee: Stuart Templeman


Read More

GrabOne Deals