FRIDAY night next will be another momentous occasion in the history of Gneeveguilla GAA Club when MEP and former Uachtarán CLG Sean Kelly, launches the Club History titled "A Proud Past, A Bright Future - a History of Gneeveguilla GAA Club 1960-2013".
Edited by Gneeveguilla native and journalist Donal Hickey, the history not alone traces the growth of the club from its modest beginnings in 1960, but also gives a background to Gaelic games in the Gneeveguilla area prior to that date, including the rough-and-tumble game of Caid, played in the area in the 1920s.
Indeed, hurling was played there in the 1700s and was mentioned in a poem by the legendary local poet Eoghan Ruadh Ó Suilleabhain who was among the hurlers. Handball was also popular in the area.
Many people will also be interested to read about a Gneeveguilla-born man, John Cronin, who played senior championship hurling with Dublin and was on the metropolitan side defeated by Waterford in the 1948 All-Ireland final.
Also given pride of place in the history are some of the Gneeveguilla club's better known footballers such as Connie O'Riordan, Jerry McCarthy, Pat Moynihan and, of course, Ambrose O'Donovan, captain of the Kerry's Centenary All-Ireland winning side in 1984, who gets a full chapter to himself.
While the club struggled for survival for much of the 1960s, there was rapid development in the 1970s, with successful carnivals helping to fund the purchase of a field, followed by the provision of a community hall, dressingrooms and other facilities.
Also highlighted are the club's four East Kerry Championship (O'Donoghue Cup) triumphs, in 1979, '80, '83 and 2003 and county and Munster intermediate championship successes in 2010. The history runs to the 96 A4 pages, with plenty of photographs.