THE DPP has withdrawn charges of dangerous driving and drink-driving against former Kerry footballer Darragh O Se for 'procedural reasons'.
The six time All-Ireland winner of Mounthawk Manor, Tralee, had faced charges of drink-driving, dangerous driving, having no insurance and no driving licence after being stopped by Garda Deirdre Barry on February 3 last on the N7, at Blackchurch, Kill, Co Kildare.
When the case was called at Naas District Court last Wednesday, however, Chief Superintendent Pat Mangan told Judge Desmond Zaidan that the charges against the All Star footballer were beng withdrawn, on the instructions of the DPP.
When the judge asked why, Chief Supt Mangan said that documents had been shown to gardaí to indicate that Mr O Sé's insurance and driving licence were in order. The charges of dangerous driving and drink-driving, he said, were withdrawn for 'procedural reasons.'
Mr O Sé's solicitor Conal Boyce told the court that it may not be the last time the matter came before the court. He said that the move had followed submissions from him.
The judge also questioned why Mr O Sé was not in court on the day.
"Should he at least appear," the Judge asked. "These are two serious allegations. I just don't understand it."
But Mr Boyce explained that Mr O Sé was not there on his advice and that there was no suggestion of any disrespect to the court.
Striking out the charges, Judge Zaidan said: "I don't know what these procedural reasons are."