Saturday 19 April 2014

Annascaul hang on for tense win away to Currow

Gene Farrell Annascaul holds off Brian McGuire Emmets during the County League Division 2 game played in Listowel on Sunday. Photo by John Stack
Gene Farrell Annascaul holds off Brian McGuire Emmets during the County League Division 2 game played in Listowel on Sunday. Photo by John Stack

If Currow are short a point at the end of the season they will certainly feel they left two behind them last Saturday. Annascaul held an eight-point lead at the break and having failed to score for 23 minutes of the second half limped over the line. Had John Buckley's fine effort not hit the upright in injury time and bounced out it would have been a draw. These are the tight margins that could well decide life in Division 2.

Both sides enjoyed their share of play in the first twenty minutes as the away side just edged it 0-4 to 0-3 but there were worrying signs that the Currow defence was creaky. Those fears were realised when in a six-minute period Annascaul scored 2-3 without reply.

Genie Farrell found the net on the 25th minute as the high ball in from Jason Hickson ping-ponged off at least four players in the square before Farrell expertly finished. While Shane Leary was picking the ball out again three minutes later when Aidan Crean out fielded his marker and shot from close range.

Buckley pointed a 20m free on the stroke of half leave Currow trailing 2-7 to 0-5.

Currow scored early second half points from Brosnan and McCarthy to put a better reflection on things. McCarthy got the goal they needed and it was game on again 2-7 to 1-7 by the 42nd minute.

Two minutes later Seamus Brosnan was in on goal only to see his shot turned behind by Tommy Pierce. McCarthy pointed the '45'. Annascaul were reduced to 14 when Emmett Kennedy picked up his second yellow. McCarthy added his third point of the second half on the 48th minute to put one between the sides.

However Annacaul had reserves of their own and two driving runs out of defence by Kenneth Quirke both resulted in badly needed scores from Eamon Hickson (53rd minute) and James Crean (57th) and despite replies from Buckley and McCarthy, it was just too little too late.

Currow: Shane Leary, Cathal Daly, Martin Howard, Mike Hanafin, Pat O'Sullivan, Dan O'Sullivan 0-1, John O'Connor, Seamus Scanlon, Paudie Collins, Timmy O'Leary, Mike McCarthy 1-5, Ian Somers, Seamus Brosnan 0-2, John Buckley 0-3, John Daly.

Annascaul: Tommy Pierce, Ger Farrelly, Gareth O'Donnell, David Clifford, James Scanlon, Colm Barry, Kenneth Quirke, Emmett Kennedy, Eamon Hickson 0-2, Michael O'Driscoil, Shane Foley, Jason Hickson 0-1, Genie Farrell 1-0, Aidan Crean 1-4, James Crean 0-2. Subs: Keith Moynihan for M O'Driscoil, Jonathan Deane for A Crean.

Referee: Paul Hayes (Kerins O'Rahillys)

Also in this Section




Meet, chat and connect with
singles in your area


Meet Singles Now



Now available on

GrabOne Deals