A WEST Limerick woman has initiated legal proceedings against a Cork hotel where her sister lost her life after a suspected gas leak almost three years ago.
Patricia Russell began High Court proceedings against Trident Bawncross Ltd, the company that operates the Trident Hotel in Kinsale, over the suspected gas leak that killed her sister, Miriam Reidy (35) from Ballyhahill. Ms Reidy lived in Tralee and worked in AIB, Killarney before her untimely death.
An adjourned inquest into the death of Ms Reidy - which reconvened this Tuesday afternoon - heard in June that she died from acute carbon monoxide poisoning. Ms Reidy and her sister were in the hotel in January 2009, after attending their cousin's hen party in the town.
Over the course of the weekend, Ms Reidy sought medical attention and was seen by a doctor during the night but her body was discovered in her hotel room on the afternoon of January 11. Ms Russell was also taken to hospital in a seriously ill condition and subsequently missed her sister's funeral.
Ms Russell's legal team has confirmed that High Court proceedings have been lodged against the company which runs the hotel. It is also understood that Trident Bawncross Ltd has also begun counter litigation against a plumbing firm that refurbished a boiler at the hotel.