independent

Wednesday 27 August 2014

Nairobi mall attack stops Helen from assisting Kenyan school build

Published 09/10/2013 | 05:36

  • Share
Helen Ferris

THE SECURITY situation in Nairobi, where militants occupied a mall in the Kenyan capital resulting in at least 67 deaths, has stalled the plans of two West Kerry women who were hoping to travel to Kenya this month to assist in the building of a school.

  • Share
  • Go To

Fidelma Long from Ballyferriter and Helen Ferris, Dingle, has planned to travel with the Niall Mellon Trust to one of the poorest regions of Nairobi where they had hoped to work with Sr Mary Killeen of the Sisters of Mercy who runs St Catherine's School in Mukuru. Helen told The Kerryman last week of her disappointment at not being able to travel as both she and Fidelma have been busy fundraising for the project for the past few months.

"The project in Nairobi is still going ahead and will be finished, but for safety and security reasons will not be allowed to travel there on this occasion following the siege on the mall," she said.

"We want people to know that everything isn't lost and that the money raised will be going directly to where it is needed, now more than ever, following the terrible things that have happened recently in the region."

"There is a possibility of another project in the future and hopefully the security situation will improve and we will be able to travel there," she added.

Kerryman

Read More

GrabOne Deals

News