independent

Thursday 23 October 2014

Carbon monoxide warning after suspected Ballyb death

GARDAI PROBE POSSIBLE DOMESTIC RANGE LINK TO TRAGIC DEATH OF MAN (58)

DÓNAL NOLAN

Published 21/11/2012 | 16:56

HOMEOWNERS are warned to be mindful of the lethal effects of carbon monoxide following a suspected death from the gas in Ballybunion this week.

Paudie Walsh (58) was found dead at his home outside the town on Wednesday morning.

Gardaí invesitgating the death believe it was likely as the result of carbon monoxide escaping from a range in Mr Walsh's home. However, this cannot be confirmed until the results of toxicology tests from the post mortem at Kerry General Hospital are known.

The death has led to renewed warnings by gardaí to homeowners to remain vigilant as to the presence of the deadly gas in their homes.

A major advertising campaign is also underway nationally reminding people of the dangers surrounding home heating. Carbon monoxide has no colour or smell, making it impossible to detect without special alarms that trace its presence in the atmosphere of a home. The safest way of preventing the emission of carbon monoxide is through the yearly servicing of boilers and the regular cleaning of chimneys and flues.

"Carbon monoxide poisoning is the suspected cause of death in our investigation into this tragic case," a spokesperson for the gardaí told The Kerryman. "We urge people to be mindful of the dangers of carbon monoxide and to take all steps to protect their families, including the installation of detectors and making sure boilers and chimneys are cleaned regularly," they said. THE family of a Ballybunion man who was found dead at his home last Wednesday will have to wait at least a week before it is known if carbon monoxide poisoning was behind the tragic passing, as is suspected by gardaí.

Paudie Walsh's remains were discovered in his home on Wednesday morning. A domestic range at the house had been in use the previous night. He lived alone at his home in Lahesrough outside the town.

However, it will be at least a week before the results of the post mortem are returned.

Mr Walsh's passing has hit Ballybunion hard, in particular the life of his beloved club Beale. He was one of its proudest supporters and never missed a match, they said.

Born on Christmas Eve, 1953, to Paddy and Molly Walsh, he was one of seven siblings. He was described locally as a very quiet, but extremely popular man.

"Paudie was loved by the whole club and never missed a match," a Beale officer said. "He was an extremely likeable person with a huge smile always and Paudie's tragic passing reminds us all how fragile life is. He will be deeply missed by the club, even in the worst winter days when nobody else would attend a game Paudie would be there," they added.

He also enjoyed dances near and wide, from Abbeyfeale to Tralee, and had a real talent for it friends said. A pioneer for 38 years, Mr Walsh had also recently received a certificate marking his lifelong donations of blood in illustration of his generosity.

His family thanked the community at his Requiem Mass for its help during what they described as ' these last few terrible days'.

Read More

GrabOne Deals

News