Garth Brooks facts
Published 12/07/2014 | 12:00
Nine facts about the man at the centre of the Croke Park controversy.
1. His first name is Troyal (Garth is his middle name), the same first name as his father's.
2. Garth earned a bachelor's degree in advertising at Oklahoma State University. He attended Oklahoma on a Track and Field scholarship, awarded for his skills with the javelin.
3. In January 2012, Garth was crowned the top-selling artist of the previous two decades. Since 1991, he has sold 68,561,000 units, some five million more than the No. 2 act, the Beatles.
4. Garth's wife Trisha Yearwood sings on 77 of his songs - three quarters of the songs he has composed.
5. He is the only solo artist in history to have four albums top the ten million mark.
6. At eighteen he was working in a sporting goods shop. He would have t-shirts printed up for his friends bearing the slogan: 'Garth Brooks World Tour'.
7. The city of Ottawa proclaimed September 3rd, 1996 to be Garth Brooks Day, after his show there became the biggest in their history.
8. Nike famously said no to Garth when he approached them offering to endorse their product. They politely declined, saying they only used sportsmen in their advertisements.
9. He once said: 'I think most people realize I'm just a bum who got lucky'.